r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions about r-pod 152

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions about r-pod 152
    Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 3:26am
Hello everyone - I am considering purchase of an RP152.  I saw one at the local RV show a few weeks ago.  Unfortunately the sales droid attending the camper could not answer many of my questions.  I sent a followup email to the local dealer (who has a very bad reputation) and have received no reply.

A bit of background:  Most of my camping is way out in the back of beyond.  The last time I camped in a regular RV park was over 5 years ago, and I was just spending the night during a long trip.  I'm the guy who heads down the one-lane dirt road, turns into the cow pasture and goes two more miles.  I camp on average 50 to 60 nights per year, and I am out at least once a month, every month, all four seasons.

My current camper is an ALiner LXE.  It has nearly 65,000 miles on it.  The main weakness is the weatherseals where the sides and roof meet.  They have become a once-per-year replacement item.  The ALiner has LOTS of ground clearance and is insulated well enough that I have used it in temperatures down to near 0F.  I have rigged it with 150 amp-hours of battery along with an 80 watt solar panel.  I once camped for 16 straight days with no more power than the solar panel.

So with that in mind, here are my questions:

1) The options list shows an "axle riser" but says nothing more about it.  
What exactly is that?

2) Is there an option for dual propane bottles?

3) Is there an option for front stabilizers?

4) What is the floor made of?

5) Are there any interior 12-volt outlets?

6) Referring to the 152 model - where is the 12volt converter located?

7) Is there an option for flourescent or LED interior lighting?  Incandescent lights consume too much battery power.

8) How much of the water lines are below the floor where they are vulnerable to freezing?

9) I see the exterior is a gel-coat.  Some years ago I had a pickup topper which was gel-coated.  Within three years the gel-coat was gone exposing the bare fiberglass underneath.  Have gel-coats improved since then?

10) How many pounds of load are the tires rated for?

11) How long does it take to get one ordered from the factory?  If I get one, I
want it with uncommon options (see questions 1, 2, 3 and 5), and I specifically do NOT want the common options microwave, A/C and television.

Thanks - Bill Gee
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 4:09am
Hi Bill ... I have just a second to answer some of your questions this morning...

2. There is not enough room for dual propane tanks - but you could mount a 30lb tank in place of the 20lb.
3. No option for front stablizlers.
4. plywood no OSB is used - OSB as you probably know warps under water conditions.
11. Right now about 2-3 weeks depending on model.

I will get answers on your other questions on Monday... thanks for posting - good questions.

The Surveyor is built very much like the FR Surveyor. Go Here http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?page=brochure&choice=surv&nav=rec to see more about the build and torsion suspension - same as r-pod.
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 2:27pm
On the Rpod 171 we have ordered we are removing the single propane and having a rack installed to hold 2 propane bottles.  also having the regaltor switch to use both bottles.  The other item I'm installing as soon as it gets home is a second battery.  This will add a bit more weight but I'll still be under my towing weight.

Did not think too much about the lighting but may have to look into that once we get out and start using it. and I have a set jacks from old pop-up to use if there is a need for front stabilizers.

Looking forward to getting the camper and camping.

Peter

www.rpod-owners.com The only r-pod forum owned, operated and maintained by r-pod owners.
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2009 at 10:09am
From Mike at FR:

an axle riser lifts the entire unit 3.75"s off the ground. it is installed between the frame and axle.

no, there is not an option for dual propane bottles

no option for front stab jacks

the floor is laminated and is 2"s thick.. it is in layers.. starting from the top.. lino, and then 2 sheets of luan, then 1.5" block foam, 1 more sheet of luan, and then darco. everything is sandwiched together with a layer of glue between each one...

yes, there is a 12 volt outlet when the T.V, antenna option is included

the converter is underneath the fridge

there is not an option for any led or flourescent lights

the only water line exposed under the floor is the line going from the fresh water tank to the water pump... all other lines are either ran above the floor or in tracks in side the 2" floor..

the fiberglass actually has 10% gel coat resin built into the glass.. it help keeps the glass from fading..

the tires are goodyear marathon radial tires. they are load range C and rated for 1750 lbs.
bgee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2009 at 3:45pm
Thanks!  This information is very helpful.

I'm not too concerned about the dual propane, front stabilizer or 12 volt outlets.  Those are fairly easy to add.  It's amazing how much more solid even a small unit feels with four stabilizers instead of two.

Having the converter under the fridge will make it hard to wire in my solar panel.  Much disassembly will be required.

That's a heck of a floor sandwich!  It should be very durable.

Exposed water lines freeze easier.  I camp in very cold weather.  Life can get interesting trying to keep water in a liquid state.

When going across cow pastures extra ground clearance is a Good Thing.  Sounds like I need to go visit a dealer again and take a tape measure with me.

Too bad about the lighting  I really like the 16 watt flourescent fixtures I put in my current camper.  They take about half the power and produce twice the light of the original incandescents.  When you live on 12 volts like I do, these things are important.

Bill Gee
Linda Faust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Faust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 6:33am
Hi Peter
Which tray did you select for your dual lp tanks?  Are you going to wire the batteries in a serial or parallel fashion?  thanks Linda and Ted
RPod 171 Rav 4
Happy Camping, Ted, Linda & our labradorable Gracie
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 4:03pm
You said there is NO option for front stabilizers...does that mean you cannot add them later?

Darlene
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
jherald02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherald02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 3:23am
I can't find this anywhere and I don't want to bother the salesman with such a simple question but is the furnace in these things gas?

If it is, how long does a single factory tank last if running all the time?

Thanks,
James
Let's hit the road!
bgee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 2:31pm
Hi, jherald - I can shed some light on your question about the furnace.

1) Yes, it is gas.  The burner runs on propane and the fan takes 12 volts.  There is a gas valve which takes 12 volts and a spark igniter instead of a standing pilot.

2) How long can it run?  There is no 100% accurate answer.  Let me give you a few guidelines.

The furnace is rated in BTUs per hour of input.  The heat output is around 70% to 80% of the rating due to waste going out the flue.  Many small RVs have a furnace rated for 16,000 BTUs per hour of input.  Let's assume this number and move to the next fact...

Propane contains roughly 93,000 BTUs per gallon.  There are a bit over 4 gallons in a typical 20 pound tank.  A bit of math:  93,000 BTUs per gallon times 4 gallons is 370,000 BTUs in a tank of propane.  Multiply that by 1 hour per 16,000 BTUs and you get a bit over 23 hours of run time.

The furnace does not run all the time.  How much it runs depends on how you set the thermostat, how cold it is, how the wind is blowing and many other factors.  I set the thermostat in my ALiner as far down as it will go for overnight.  That keeps the inside of the camper around 45 to 50 degrees which is good for sleeping.  If the outside temperature is 20 degrees, then the furnace runs about 6 minutes on and 12 to 15 minutes off.  6 minutes runtime out of 20 gives a duty cycle of roughly 30%.

To keep the inside at 70 degrees in the same 20 degree weather, the furnace runs about 6 minutes on and 5 or 6 minutes off for a duty cycle around 50%.

23 hours of runtime multiplied by 1 over 30% gives about 75 clock hours, a bit over three days.

My ALiner is a folding trailer with 1 inch walls, so it leaks a lot more heat than an R-Pod would.  Interior volume of the ALiner is a bit less than an R-152.  Also, there is  the water heater, any usage of the stove, and perhaps the fridge.  They don't amount to much, but it is more than zero.

Net result is an R-Pod will probably go longer on a tank of propane than my ALiner.  It's hard to say how much longer without actually trying it. 

I find I use a tank of propane about every one and a half winter weekends.  Since I don't want to be caught empty, I have a dual-tank setup on the trailer.  That is the reason for my question about dual tanks up above.  Summer usage is, of course, much less.

Hope this helps.

Bill Gee
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 4:28pm
WOW!!!  I actually followed that!!!!!   Thanks for explaining it so I, a woman, could actually understand your explanation.  Good to know.Big smile

Thanks,
Darlene
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic