r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hitch Cargo Carrier

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hitch Cargo Carrier
    Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 12:39am

I am contemplating moving the pod’s spare tire from the rear to the front tongue, which I know some here have already done, but I am considering putting a cargo carrier with hitch receiver on the back of the pod to carry some extra items when I go camping, especially on long trips.

I understand that the main concern is not to put too much weight on that rear hitch. The cargo carrier with receiver that I have been looking at only weighs 36 lbs empty, and while it has a 500 lb capacity I don’t plan on carrying more than 50 to 100 lbs in the carrier at any one time.

Some here have mentioned that they have put a bicycle rack on the rear of their pod; depending on whether it is one or two bikes that can be 20 to 50 lbs. I don’t know if the rear hitch on the pod is a Class II, III or IV? And I don't know how much weight that rear hitch can take?  I've looked online for the R-Pod 171 specs but could not find any info about it. I am also curious about what others think about putting a hitch cargo carrier on the rear of the pod?

Here is a link to what I’m thinking about buying; the 48” folding carrier w/rails and a 48” cargo carry bag; about $170.00 total for the 3-items.

http://www.discountramps.com/folding-cargo-carrier.htm

Thank in advance for your input.Smile

kmcmurph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmcmurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 12:53am
The rear "hitch" is a class 2. I put it in quotes, because there is much there in the way of material or construction on mine. I think what you want is to do is ok, but watch the welds and metal after a bit to see if there is any weakening or cracking of welds. Let us know how you make out. 
Karl, Kerri and the hounds:: 5.4L '04 Expedition:: 2010 177
wbillar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbillar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 8:13am

Representatives from the factory told us (at last years rally), the hitch is rated for the spare tire or two bicycles.

Bill
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 9:22am
Proceed with caution, my friend. We have a Thule 4 bike rack and two aluminum frame bikes we normally carry in our rear receiver, and although it's within the weight limits prescribed by FR, it just doesn't feel that sturdy.

Mostly it's when the pod gets to bouncing I grit my teeth. I've often wished there was a way to strap the bike rack back to the pod at the top to minimize the lever action. Well, there's always a way, I just don't want to tear the whole back end of the pod apart to do it.

We really haven't had any problems with the setup as is, though.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 12:43pm

Thank you all for your feedback. I am planning on getting a hitch extension adapter that will change the rear hitch receiver from a class II to a Class III or IV; there is a link at the bottom of the page to let you know what I’m talking about.

Still I know that will not change the amount of weight I can put on that rear hitch, although I‘m confident that if I stay within 100 lbs I‘ll be ok. As it is right now my spare tire in the rear is kind of wobbly and I want to move that tire regardless whether I get a cargo carrier or not. The receiver for the spare tire does not have a snug fit.

I did call FR, after I posted this topic here yesterday, and I asked about the rear hitch and all they told me was that the rear hitch on the r-pod should never be used for towing. The person who I spoke with did not discourage me from installing a cargo carrier as long as I stayed within a 300 lb limit; which is the normal maximum tongue weight for a class II hitch. There is nothing in the warranty or literature about the r-pod’s rear hitch and how it can be used. I wish I had something in writing.

4-bikes sounds like a lot of weight and I understand about the dangling effect when the pod gets to bouncing even with 2-bikes. If nothing more it’ll be cause for me to slow down when I’m towing. I’m also missing a stabilizer jack on the left rear of my pod; it came to me brand new from Couch RV in Ohio with only 3-stablizer jacks; two in front and one in back. Putting that forth jack in place will help the weight distribution when the pod is parked. Nonetheless, I definitely will proceed with caution.

http://www.discountramps.com/cargoImages/receiver-adapter-3.jpg

Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 12:56pm

I'm NO ENGINEER or anything like that, but I've thought of and discuss with others putting a cargo hitch on the back of Podterfly.

I think to be successful the Cargo Carrier should be attach in three places.  The in the middle by the present hitch, and on each side attached to the square tube frame (for lack of a better term).  Maybe adding to additional recievers to the frame (so that you can take it off) or just welding & extending the frame tubing to support the cargo carrier or just add a |___|  (brace that fits into the frame (not must of a diagram but two pieces of  metal into the frame (and secured) and one running length wise like a bumper. 

I think the biggest problem is the sway and bounce from the single hitch with the bicycles.    

Personally I like to put the anitgravity chairs (bagged of course) and a foldup tricycle, not real heavy, but with the extra support it shouldn't be a problem.  I personally would like to have something like this for my long trips as well.

There's my two cents.
LeeClap

These are just my thoughts, be careful and cautious with what ever you do.
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 2:05pm
DON'T DO IT!

Find another way to carry your things that doesn't involve cantilevering weight out the back of your trailer.  A spare tire, with its weight held close to the trailer is one thing; 200 pounds held 2-4 feet out from the rear is quite another altogether.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 2:12pm
For those looking for a bicycle-carrying solution, Top Pop rails may be worth a second look.  The bicycles are carried on the tongue, over the propane tank using a very sturdy mount.

Or, if you're like me and only need to carry a single bicycle, you can easily install a rail on the tongue:

Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Outbound Outbound wrote:

DON'T DO IT!

Find another way to carry your things that doesn't involve cantilevering weight out the back of your trailer.  A spare tire, with its weight held close to the trailer is one thing; 200 pounds held 2-4 feet out from the rear is quite another altogether.

I agree with Outbound. I don't believe that mount can safely handle a load like that in a static situation let alone the live load caused by the sway and bounce of the trailer in motion.

To be safe, I'd look for another solution.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 3:50pm

Patrick at etrailer helped me with this issue a few weeks ago.  I believe it will work for me because with my tow vehicle is an F-150 with tow package, therefore I do not use either sway bars or a WDH.  I was trying to avoid a front mounted reciever and bike rack.

Along with a bike carrier.  When I do get this set up, I'll be sure to post a picture and let everyone know how it works for me. 

Patrick at etrailer is also know as etrailer on this forum. 

Rob
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic