r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camp ground review and recommendations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KOA or Good Sams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KOA or Good Sams
    Posted: 21 Jun 2009 at 6:14am
Ouch  Trying to figure out if its worth joing the good sams or koa or both for hvaing some places to camp at.  I noticed that the nice places in California are pricey per nite like $65 per nite for full hook up or $56 for power and water. 

I know there are cheaper places than CA but that is where I will be camping the most.  Is it worth joining these clubs.  They offer 10% off of camp fees. 

Have any of you joined these clubs?

Thx.
Rick
Rick

The Blackdog
2001 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4 3.4 V6
172 on ORDER (PICK UP JULY 24)
Lincoln, CA
Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2009 at 8:16am
I am a member of both.  I have never been to a Good Sams park because I don't know where any are. Apparently you have to buy a book to tell you where they are and I think that if you have a membership, you shouldn't have to buy something to tell you where they are. I can't figure out their web site either. So i won't be renewing that one. I love KOA parks. I live in East Tennessee and there are some really nice ones in the area. You can always count on them. I met a couple in a campground once that said you have to check out the Good Sam's parks because some them aren't so nice. Hope this helps.

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2009 at 9:48am
Sorry to here about Good SamCry, As a newbie. I welcome your comments.  (Still waiting on delivery of my 172, hopefully by the end of the month)
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Blackdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2009 at 2:44pm
to bad about good sams.  I like their stickerBig smile  don't know about the parks, thats why I asked.  I will probably join koa.

thx
Rick

The Blackdog
2001 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4 3.4 V6
172 on ORDER (PICK UP JULY 24)
Lincoln, CA
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 5:06am
In my 6 years on the road full time I can count the number of times I stayed at a KOA on my fingers.  If you don't mind paying for the name then use them.  They are just over priced.  Take a look at the prices of campgrounds around a KOA and see what I'm talking about.  On the plus side you can always count on the condition of their places.

Go to Camping World and for $24.95 you get a book with thousands of campgrounds listed in it.  The name of the book is Trailer Life Campground Directory.  It is also the official directory of Good Sams campgrounds.  They are marked with the smiley logo.  All campgrounds are rated on many catagories and shows hookups and costs etc.  You will need the book if you are a good Sams member or not.

Good Sams gives a 10% discount, along with other clubs.  That isn't much but better than nothing. 

Terry
capringl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capringl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 12:00pm
I agree with Terry...KOAs are nice but overpriced. My uncle recommended Good Sams to me and I think it's great. The book Terry is talking about is very useful, but if you have access to there website you can look up the same info. Almost every place I stayed on my trip across the US was a Good Sam approved and they were all nice.
Craig
R-Pod 172
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 12:31pm
You can travel across the country and back and only pay for a campground when you need to empty tanks and get water.  Plus, there are tons of cheap places to stay.  Many towns have cheap or free camp sites in their parks.  A lot of county fair grounds have camp sites with water and electric with a dump station for little money.  These places are out there for us to use. 

Terry
BIG OLE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG OLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2009 at 4:59pm
My dealer had a pamphlet included in with all the books for the trailer. 

It's for Passport America. Web site: PASSPORTAMERICA.COM.  50% savings all over the country.
Ckeck it out.
      Happy Camping! 
Ron & Toby my 4 legged Buddy
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2009 at 12:09am
I used to use Passport America.  It's good.

Terry

PS: The only bad thing about Good Sam's is you will get a lot of junk mail from them.
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2009 at 6:24am
Originally posted by Tink Tink wrote:

I have never been to a Good Sams park because I don't know where any are. Apparently you have to buy a book to tell you where they are and I think that if you have a membership, you shouldn't have to buy something to tell you where they are.

You can go to http://trailerlifedirectory.com and look up campgrounds for free.  It'll also show you if a specific camground is a Good Sams member.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic