r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Studs? - Installing a Crib Side in a Bunk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K_Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Studs? - Installing a Crib Side in a Bunk
    Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 9:45am
My wife and I are the proud owners of a 172.  It is a perfect fit for us and our 2 year old son.  We are expecting twin boys any day now and I find myself thinking often how we are going to make the 172 work for the 5 of us.

I am no carpenter or engineer, but I can handle most do-it-yourself projects well, albeit slowly if I'm breaking new ground.  My question is around how to create a safe bunk bed out of my 172 for my twin boys.  I've been thinking of turning the top bunk on the front side into a makeshift crib (for the twins to share), borrowing our crib mattress from home.  I believe the internal framework consists of wood (correct me if I'm wrong please).  I was thinking of creating a locking wooden gate with crib rails to keep the babies safely in the bunk.  Does anyone have a diagram of how the rPod is constructed or some advice on fastening onto the framework?  Will a household stud detector work in the rPod?  By doing this, will I be ruining my perfectly good 2009 rPod 172?

I really like this trailer and it's completely paid off, so while I have thought of upgrading, I would be much happier making our current TT work.  In addition to crib space, I want to put up some additional shelving/storage - any ideas around built-in stuff will work (we've been using hanging fabric shelves attached to tension bars, but I don't think they'll be safe with three little boys.
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 3:30pm
    A stud finder should work. You are also able to find the aluminum frame outline another way. I have noticed on days when humidity and temerature changes are right you are able to see a outline of the frame work by the condesation on the outside of the trailer. The aluminum frame retains a colder temperature and causes condensation to form. I have used screws on the inside to secure mods to the aluminum frame and small molly bolts for the thin interior walls where there is no frame. I think what you are trying to do could be possible with the right fastners. We have the 171 so I can not help much as to what points you could secure the crib frame. But I am sure there is someone on the forum with a 172 who would be able to help. The roof has wood for a frame not aluminum if you press or knock on the roof you can find the general area of the wood supports.      David
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 4:42pm
The studs in the walls are aluminum (actually, each wall is a one-piece frame) filled with styrofoam insulation filling the void.  The studs in the ceiling are wood, again with styrofoam insulation.

But, I'd hesitate to put wee ones on the top bunk, even if they're caged-in with a frame.  A screw may work itself loose unnoticed while travelling down a rutted road, leaving the crib in a potentially dangerous state.  Also, accidents may happen while lifting a squirming baby in/out, paticularly when you have two to worry about.  Its best if they're close to the floor where there's much less chance of serious harm should they fall.

If it was me, I'd remove the bottom bunk and underbed storage area and convert the area into a small bed for your oldest and a crib for the twins.  Leave the top bunk as is, remove the mattress and use it to replace your lost storage below.  In a couple of years, you can reinstall the bottom bunk, put a safety rail on the top bunk and let the oldest sleep up top and the twins can share the bottom double.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 4:54pm
I like the way you think, Mr. Outbound.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
profmagickb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote profmagickb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 10:44am
Check this out

or search "child security" in the forum, awsome idea.
I have good ideas....... sometimes
2011 176T
why don't you come with me little girl, on a magic R-pod ride
GaRedneck81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaRedneck81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 10:52am
K_Mac, if you are attending the Ky Roundup, I can show you exactly where the studs are in your POD, I recently took photos of my 172 with my FLIR camera; and it shows the location of each stud, all piping and even wires. I will be glad to shoot anyones POD's; all 4 sides and even the roof.
GaRedneck81
U.S.Navy-Retired
Heavy Chevy 5.7 liter
RP-172
Kennesaw, Ga.
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 11:36am

I'd be interested in that. That's a generous offer.

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpierce220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 1:53pm
GaRedneck81

I may take you up on the offer.  I'm thinking of putting some things up on the walls, but I'm so afraid of going through the wall.

Thanks!!!
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
K_Mac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K_Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 8:46am
Markthesharks mod looks awesome.  To bad he hasn't posted since July - I doubt I will be able to get the blueprints.

GaRedneck81 - thank you for the generous offer.  That FLIR camera sounds very cool - I never thought of using that.  Unfortunately - it's sort of the cart before the horse.  I have to get the rPod livable before we can take the family out on a trip.  I'm going to take my stud finder out there as soon as temperatures get above freezing.
profmagickb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote profmagickb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 9:24am
Originally posted by K_Mac K_Mac wrote:

Markthesharks mod looks awesome.  To bad he hasn't posted since July - I doubt I will be able to get the blueprints.

you oughta try to PM him, you may be suprised.
I have good ideas....... sometimes
2011 176T
why don't you come with me little girl, on a magic R-pod ride
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic