r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dome Awning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dome Awning
    Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 10:03am
Ran across this on another forum. It is a dome awning that stays attached to the T/T all the time. If fits in the track and is held in place with a small screw in the front. Rolls up into and out of the bag. The owner said it takes about 10 minutes to set up and take down, and is 13 feet long, smaller than the full size factory dome. He also claims the towed it almost 11,000 miles with no problem. I think he said it was made by Dometic and I have requested more info about it.
2011 Visa 23RBK pulled with 2010 Nissan Titan. 12.5 MPG when towing.
The Most Beautiful Thing In Life Is The Ability To love.
www.BillyAdeliza.homestead.com
Daystarsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daystarsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 11:19am
Billy Bob,

Gary and I would be most interested in whatever you find out about this!  I have always wondered why our dome wasn't done this way.  It would make life easier and free up room in our pod basement!!

Becky
Mountaineer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountaineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 3:31pm
Please post a website for the dome if you find one.  Thanks.
Jerry
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 6:22pm
Camping world has the Dome under the pop up campers.
Theresa's Seaside Cowgirl
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 7:16am
Some photos he posted. Nothing about the model or cost yet. It is made by Dometic. He did say that it had to be purchased from a dealer, so any Pod dealer should be able to get it. Looks like a lot of tent to stuff back into the little bag. The MPG has the same track on the side as the Pod and that is where it mounts with a screw in front to keep it from sliding out.

Originally posted by Daystarsc Daystarsc wrote:

Billy Bob,

Gary and I would be most interested in whatever you find out about this!  I have always wondered why our dome wasn't done this way.  It would make life easier and free up room in our pod basement!!

Becky
2011 Visa 23RBK pulled with 2010 Nissan Titan. 12.5 MPG when towing.
The Most Beautiful Thing In Life Is The Ability To love.
www.BillyAdeliza.homestead.com
iamsmonk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamsmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 9:51pm
I'm personally happy the dome isn't attached to the pod full time.  The awning we had on our pop-up was attached and it was a royal pain to roll up into the bag and zip it closed.  Had to have 2 people to do it.  I can easily set up and take down the dome by myself.  I would not want to roll it up to the height of the pod. I keep it packed in a rubbermaid tub and it travels on the dining seat.  When we get to the campsite I put up the dome, then all the bags that the chairs, camp kitchen, etc. come in are stored in the tub the dome was in.  If I have to take it down in the rain, it goes back in the tub so there's no water in the pod.  When I get home I can open the tub, take out the dome and let it air out.  The seperate dome was on the 'pros' list when we were deciding on buying the pod.
Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Tanner & Jay
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177
www.smonk.net

Let's go camping!
Maryjo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maryjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 11:41am
Originally posted by iamsmonk iamsmonk wrote:

I'm personally happy the dome isn't attached to the pod full time.  The awning we had on our pop-up was attached and it was a royal pain to roll up into the bag and zip it closed.  Had to have 2 people to do it.  I can easily set up and take down the dome by myself.  I would not want to roll it up to the height of the pod. I keep it packed in a rubbermaid tub and it travels on the dining seat.  When we get to the campsite I put up the dome, then all the bags that the chairs, camp kitchen, etc. come in are stored in the tub the dome was in.  If I have to take it down in the rain, it goes back in the tub so there's no water in the pod.  When I get home I can open the tub, take out the dome and let it air out.  The seperate dome was on the 'pros' list when we were deciding on buying the pod.

Great idea!

FoxyPod (Maryjo)2010 R-Pod 173 Tow Vehicle:2004 Expedition
profmagickb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote profmagickb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by iamsmonk iamsmonk wrote:

If I have to take it down in the rain, it goes back in the tub so there's no water in the pod.

Kudos, that's the ticket.  Do you take time to fold it?  I just stuff mine, rain or shine.
I have good ideas....... sometimes
2011 176T
why don't you come with me little girl, on a magic R-pod ride
iamsmonk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamsmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 9:13pm
Just stuff it.  Too big and bulky to fold.  And all the wrinkles fall out the next time I put it up.
Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Tanner & Jay
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177
www.smonk.net

Let's go camping!
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 9:29am

I agree to high for a short person to fold and zip.  Personally I bought to cheep small duffle bags (at a yard sale), keep the main part of the dome in it, and the front door w/skirt in it and the rods off to the side in the pass though. 

I mostly put the dome up for shade, so I don't have to mess with the other bag. I do fold twice then roll it up.

Now the shade below would the the cats meow, with water proof bag or holder of some kind, attached to the side.  Fold up and down as needed, put a little froggie in the middle.  LOL

LeeClap

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic