r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R-Pod construction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 8:46am
Have you looked under the dinette seat on the left side where the furnace is? I was getting sawdust on the floor in front of the fridge after every road trip too. 

Found lots of sawdust under there when I was doing a mod. Also behind the breaker box. Vacuumed it all up and problem solved.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
shenandoah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shenandoah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 9:41am
Having never owned a travel trailer before, I am ecstatic with my decision in purchasing my 2010
R Pod 175 almost  a year and a half ago. I will say I did not do a lot of research, except going to the dealership with the knowledge that I could only get a pop-up trailer because of my towing issue. I can recall only finding out about the R Pod through the internet, just breezing through the literature briefly.

The day I decided to buy a trailer, as soon as I pulled into the parking lot I noticed the Pod sitting there, waiting. Needless to say the first thing I did was ask how much its towing weight was. Not interested with other models because this had everything I wanted and MORE...., later that week I went to "closing." I brought it home, happy.

I guess after this long drawn out story, what I am trying to say is not having the least bit of knowledge of other manufacturers I am pleased with everything, from top to bottom. Nothing to complain about, except maybe what I, as the owner, put the poor trailer through. In return I have spent many great nights with my 3 dogs and to awake to the sun rising, birds chirping, turkeys gobbling and the great memories it brings a new to me.

Life is Great    Ying Yang
iamsmonk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamsmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 8:15pm
shenandoah

I love your attitude.  That's what camping is all about!
Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Tanner & Jay
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177
www.smonk.net

Let's go camping!
ikeup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikeup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 3:06pm
I too am sorry to hear that you found a poorly constructed unit. I just purchased the RP172 from CouchsRVNation.com and it came in Saturday, after a 1000+ mile trip from Ohio to Texas and everything in perfect shape. This unit is by far the best I have ever owned. I have owned a late '70's Rockwood, a 1986 Coleman Pop-up, a 1990 Coleman Pop-Up and a 1987 Toyota Grandville Motor-home. Coleman's and Rockwood couldn't hold a candle to the R-Pod. The Toyota Grandville's construction was nearly as good as the R-Pod. My brother-in-law has owned Layton's & Coachmen 5th wheelers, and a Coachman motor home. I can't say the construction of those units was vastly superior either. I and my brother-in-law have always had to do repairs on campers either during or after every trip. So I will let you know in a few weeks how this one goes. Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.
IK south Texas.
IKeup
williwheels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williwheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 9:54pm
I want to believe in American Craftsmanship, but our R-Pod (176, March 2011) leaves much to be desired.  As delivered, the kitchen window does not open.  The springs on the fittings that hold the outside storage doors open have broken (just poor quality hardware). The cabinet handles were not installed straight. The black water drain cap broke (again poor quality hardware).  Access panel to the water heater is just hack-sawed out.  No effort has been made to even sand the edges, hence it is a real splinter maker (palm and two fingers so far)....I finally lined it with laminate tape that looks like wood ($2 a roll at the hardware store, and I used about 3 feet of the 20 foot roll).
Table edges are de-laminating. 

Design issues:  (really do the people who design these units ever use them?).  The storage unit under the eating area is difficult to use.  If they had lined the opening up with the cushions, then you would only have to remove a single cushion to use the space.  As it is, you have to remove two base cushions, and two back cushions to get to the space.  Given the limited interior space, this make the storage space all but functionless (we only use it for items that we seldom need). The interior could have been made much brighter if a rectangular 4x1.5 foot frosted glass window had been installed in the door (standard fittings on most travel trailers).

The bag thingy that hangs in the shower is a joke.  You can't actually use it and use the bathroom.  Evidently no one thought about where to put it when the bathroom access is required....really stupid idea. 

In defense of the light quality cabinets you must weigh heavier materials against a larger GVW and greater towing cost.  The factory could sub the cabinets out to IKEA, and probably end up with better quality at a lower cost, but apparently no one thought of that.

Good things that still make the unit worth owning:

Easy to tow
Fits small campsites
Easy camp set-up
bunk-bed model provides needed storage space (we use the dinette area to sleep as we like to eat outside most of the time, only using the dinette in the rain).
Fiberglass exterior...easy to maintain.
A bathroom with a shower....well sort of....you can take a crap and shower at the same time...a novel do-only-once adventure!
Small enough to park at home

Things I would like to see:

1. A simple awning.  The slide track is there.  Could be made to retail for $150. (similar units for tents are available in that price range ( google:  Moto Cabana by Mountain Sun).

2. Move the spar tire to one side and use the space for a second receiver on which you could put a bike rack or a mesh basket carrier (increases rear utility at very little increase in cost.
All-in-all I would say that the GM (President) for this division is sitting on his or her hands.  He(She) is selling a great concept that is waiting to be leap-frogged by a company that can build a better quality unit with similar features for the same dollar.  Too bad.  With a little effort you could own this market segment.  As it is, you producing a blue print for success by someone else.

Warren Buffet....are you listening?

Skooterpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skooterpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 10:09pm
Could you not see how lousy it was before you bought it?  There are several other small trailers on the market.  Sounds like you would've been happier with one of those.  
2011 RP-177
2010 Honda Ridgeline RTL
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 7:06am
Originally posted by Skooterpod Skooterpod wrote:

Could you not see how lousy it was before you bought it?  There are several other small trailers on the market.  Sounds like you would've been happier with one of those.  
Not sure why everyone gets so pissy if someone mentions something negative with the R-Pod.  Look at my posts and the all issues I have with mine.  It's really uncalled for with all the issues these things have (at least the 2010 models).  If you're fine and happy with yours, great, but don't diss someone for posting how their experience has been.  If a potential buyer really only wants to hear the good about the unit and not the problems or the bad, then he/she should never even ask.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Hawkeyes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 7:37am
Been using our 2010 177 all summer.  Absolutely love it and not one single problem.  Of course there are things that could be improved, but we got a great price and it put us in a new camper.  Enjoying the pod and the fun it brings us spending time with the grown daughters and my husband.  Someday I will probably buy something with a little more room, but I am grateful for the pod and enjoying it tremendously.  This forum is a big part of the love I have for the pod.  So helpful for us since we have never owned a camper before.  What a great group of people.
Hawkpod
2013 Surveyor Sport 189
2010 Silverado
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 8:00am
Originally posted by this_is_nascar this_is_nascar wrote:

Not sure why everyone gets so pissy if someone mentions something negative with the R-Pod.  Look at my posts and the all issues I have with mine.  It's really uncalled for with all the issues these things have (at least the 2010 models).  If you're fine and happy with yours, great, but don't diss someone for posting how their experience has been.  If a potential buyer really only wants to hear the good about the unit and not the problems or the bad, then he/she should never even ask.

Oh, you mean like this:

this_is_nascar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options Quote this_is_nascar Quote Post ReplyReplyDirect Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2011 at 8:23am
I guess I just don't understand. If the bed didn't fit you to begin with, why did you purchase that camper? I'm amazed at the things people have done/will do to retrofit something so it works for them, when in fact, it was in their control all along to make the initial purchase or not.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2010 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
- 2010 Forest River R-Pod RP-151
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Skooterpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skooterpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 8:23am
Originally posted by this_is_nascar this_is_nascar wrote:

Originally posted by Skooterpod Skooterpod wrote:

You perceive "pissy" differently than I do.  Why someone would spend thousands for a trailer before a proper pre-buy inspection...maybe it's a pisser to the person who spent the money, but to me it's only a mystery.  
2011 RP-177
2010 Honda Ridgeline RTL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic