r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Owners Registry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Countdown to my 173

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote czardastx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Countdown to my 173
    Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 9:44pm
I'm going to take delivery of my 2011 RPod 173 this Friday afternoon. I'm excited to join the R-Pod Nation. I will post pictures after I get the Pod home and parked. My first tow experience will be in rush hour traffic. I'm nervous about that but most all of the driving will be on roads I'm familiar with.

Did I say I'm really excited to get my trailer!!! I'm going to miss my tent camping, it was really a great deal of fun, but I really know I'll enjoy the comfort and convenience of the R-Pod.

Oh, my TV is a 2004 Ford Explorer.

Tic toc tic toc...I can't wait!

Paul
Pawpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pawpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 9:57pm
41 verrrryyyy loooonnnnngggg days for us. I'm going to video our walkthrough of our 177 and probably post on YouTube.
Ready to pod around.
joe&carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe&carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 10:02pm

Congratulations on your r.pod 173!  Like most the people on this forum, you are certain to enjoy the experience.  Meanwhile, we'll keep our fingers crossed for you until you reach home safely.  How well I remember our first experience pulling the r.pod from Ohio back to Colorado.  First, I'd underestimated fuel requirements [mileage dropping to 9-10 mpg] and we nearly had to coast in to a gas station just west of the airport in Indianapolis.  From there, we went on and hit Saint Louis during their rush hour.  After that, our next harrowing experience was the horrific cross wind outside Hays, Kansas [fortunately we'd had Couch's install an anti-sway bar].  But all is well that ends well though we got home vowing to ourselves to be more cautious in the future.  I'm most certain you will be better prepared that I was, though we'll be glad to hear from you when you get back.  Good luck!  Joe

Joe & Carol
r-pod 173
czardastx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote czardastx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 10:04pm
It's camping season here in TX, and oh do I want to get camping in my new 173. My first camp out in the Pod will probably be in the driveway during that first weekend. That way I can get an idea of what I'll need when I camp for real. Plus, next week is an on call week for me, so I really can plan any trips. 2 1/2 weeks before I'll be able to move the Pod out of the driveway and to a campground.
czardastx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote czardastx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 10:07pm
Joe,

Thanks to all the wonderful posts here, I am truly more prepared and have lots of good info going into it. Fortunately my first drive home is only about 15 miles, and a majority of that is on a lightly congested toll road.

Thanks for the reply and pep talk.

Paul
Pawpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pawpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by czardastx czardastx wrote:

It's camping season here in TX, and oh do I want to get camping in my new 173. My first camp out in the Pod will probably be in the driveway during that first weekend. That way I can get an idea of what I'll need when I camp for real. Plus, next week is an on call week for me, so I really can plan any trips. 2 1/2 weeks before I'll be able to move the Pod out of the driveway and to a campground.

We're still slot car driving here in Regina. You can go around a cresent without steering, the car just follows the 1 foot deep ruts in the ice
Ready to pod around.
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 8:20am
I couldn't sleep the night before taking delivery.  I had never towed a trailer and felt like a pro after a few quick tips from Jeff Couch in his parking lot. 

Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
Maryjo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maryjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 9:20am
Congrats Paul! You are going to have so much fun! I love my 173. You are gonna do great! If I can tow a Pod..........anyone can!  LOL

FoxyPod (Maryjo)2010 R-Pod 173 Tow Vehicle:2004 Expedition
czardastx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote czardastx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 10:28am
Originally posted by tabkld93 tabkld93 wrote:

I couldn't sleep the night before taking delivery.  I had never towed a trailer and felt like a pro after a few quick tips from Jeff Couch in his parking lot. 

So, that's why I haven't been able to sleep lately! LOL
czardastx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote czardastx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Maryjo Maryjo wrote:

Congrats Paul! You are going to have so much fun! I love my 173. You are gonna do great! If I can tow a Pod..........anyone can!  LOL

Hmmm, make wider turns, go forward. That's it, isn't it?

It's the backing it into the driveway for my first ever backing up experience that I'm looking forward to. I think I'm going to have my wife film it! Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic