r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My forst PodMod: Cooktop Cover/Cutting Board Cover
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My forst PodMod: Cooktop Cover/Cutting Board Cover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psumooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My forst PodMod: Cooktop Cover/Cutting Board Cover
    Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 9:49pm

This one was easy and really effective.  First I bought a 15x20 inch plastic cutting board at Wal-Mart.  This happens to be the exact size to cover the cooktop found in all R-Pods, with enough overhang to allow for a base.  I cut a scrap 3/4 inch thick oak board into 3/4 inch x 1 1/2 strips. I glued them together with wood glue into a square frame, then glued the plastic cutting board to the frame with two-part 15 minute epoxy (epoxy pretty much glues anything to anything). I rounded the corners of the wood frame to match the rounded corners of the cutting board, stained the oak to match the cabinets, and finished the wood portion with some varnish.

In order to keep the cover from sliding around and banging the lip of the cooktop (and because I needed another 1/8th inch height to clear the cooktop knobs when the cover was on), I decided to apply a thick bead of silicone caulk.  I covered a section of my kitchen counter with some Saran wrap to keep the silicone from sticking as it dried.  I then put down four thin plastic drinking straws (about 1/8th inch in diameter) in a pattern to support the cover as the caulk cured.  I then put a THICK bead of caulk on the underside of the cover's base, flipped it over and set it gently on the straws.

After it dried for about 6 hours, I peeled the cover off the counter, pulled off the plastic wrap and straws, and trimmed the excess witha razor blade (after filling the gaps left by the straws with a bit more silicone).  What I ended up with was a perfectly flat and VERY non-slip rubber-like base. It sits firmly on the R-pod's counter, covering the cooktop and providing another 300 square inches of counter space that you can cut and chop food on without worry! In the photos you will notice the silicone base is black - that' because black is what I had lying around.  If I were to do it all over again, I'd go with clear or white, but that's just getting nitpicky...

Thanks for all the great ideas - I've got many more PodMods left to go, many thanks to the good ideas on this forum!

Cheers,

psumooch

psumooch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psumooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 9:52pm
First a correction - I meant to type FIRST instead of FORST in the title - oops: Second, Here is another pic - haven't figured out how to attach multiple photos to each post...
psumooch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psumooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 9:54pm
Here's what it looks like from the underside.  I suppose it could double as a tray if used upside down...
takeabreath3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takeabreath3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 7:00pm
wow, that looks good....think i might have to give that one a try myself!!
Life isn't a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safe in a pretty well preserved body, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up totally worn out, loudly proclaiming WOW WHAT A RIDE
ToddsPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddsPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 7:17pm
That's a great idea with the silicon. I did this mod as well, but with the $8 walmart TV tray. It does work great as a tray, as my DW found out. We like to cook with dutch ovens, and all the prep goes on in the 'pod, then comes out into the ovens via the handy wood tray. Cutting board was also a good idea.

'10 Forest River R-Pod 172
'06 Dodge Grand Caravan
headcold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote headcold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 10:24pm
Very neat.  I think that I will try it.  I wonder if a strip of thick weather stripping would work as well as the caulk.  I'll try that and give you a report.  
Maryjo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maryjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 7:35am
Very nice! You did a great job!

FoxyPod (Maryjo)2010 R-Pod 173 Tow Vehicle:2004 Expedition
psaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 3:24pm
Nice work!!
2011 RP177 "Sponge Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
P2 Brake Controller
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 7:19pm
What about the sink cover.  Did yours come with the pod?  We would like one.
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

psumooch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psumooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 4:51pm
Yes, the sink cover comes standard with the 2011 models. I'm sure you can get one from Forest River - I don't think the sinks themselves changed with the model year...
Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic