r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nuestro Pod gets Sway Control

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmjensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nuestro Pod gets Sway Control
    Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 3:24pm
As I had mentioned awhile back, I was thinking of putting a sway control device on Nuestro Pod. (Whether he liked it or not)  The primary reason is due to the wind which seems to blow constantly down here.  For the past several days we have had sustained winds of 20-25 with gusts to 40+.   Anyhow, back to the sway control.  

I purchased both the hitch & sway control online.  Both are from Curt Mfg.  If anyone is interested the hitch is Model D-320 and the sway control is 17200.  Total for both was around $80.00.  I found it very easy to install, I would guess it took about an hour maybe slightly longer.  One thing I did that wasn't in the instructions, was I use a liquid thread lock just to make sure the self tapping screws didn't come loose. 

Now all I have to do is get it adjusted.

Pictures below - the reason the printing on the control is upside down is I had to use the 3/4 rise which necessitated putting the device on the left side.

Obviously no TV attached

Happy Podding

2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2011 Frontier SV
psaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 3:57pm
Looks good! I installed the same type, different manufacturer, will get a chance to try it out Easter weekend. I didn't think about the thread lock, but contemplated lock washers. Didn't have any so decided to keep an eye on the bolts for loosening after first trip.
2011 RP177 "Sponge Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
P2 Brake Controller
pmjensen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmjensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 5:39pm
Thanks, we'll miss you next weekend at IB Magee
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2011 Frontier SV
Phil H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 12:25pm
I believe these come in a "left" and a "right" so the lettering ends up facing the right way amongst other things. Not sure if it makes any other difference, though. I'm trying to remember if ours had the adjustable lever closer to the trailer when its on the other side.

The way I discovered this is that I installed one on the right side of our R-pod. Outbound said he had also purchased the same unit from a different rv dealer. The next time we camped together we noticed his was on the left side. Seems he had picked a "left" off the shelf and I had picked up a "right".
2010 R-pod 171 (sold)
2010 Surveyor SV251 towed by a 2010 Chevrolet Avalanche
pmjensen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmjensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 1:42pm
To the best of my knowledge they only make 1 Kit.  At least that is all they have on their website.  When I inquire to make sure it could be mounted on either side the mfg said yes. My 2 cents worth.
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2011 Frontier SV
psaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 3:17pm
Mine is made by Valley, and it also says it can mounted on either side.  I actually wanted to mount it on the left side, but when I took my ball mount to have the sway control attachment plate welded, they welded it on the right side. Now I can't remember why I wanted the left side. Ermm
2011 RP177 "Sponge Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
P2 Brake Controller
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic