r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone install a regular awning?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marc515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone install a regular awning?
    Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 6:28pm

If we get an R-Pod, we would like to have a regular awning; has anyone put one on?

Thank you

Best Regards,.....Marc & Joan
And....Tucker (our yellow lab)
2011 Heartland MPG-181
2011 Nissan Pathfinder
USMC 69-73
God Bless all our Men & Women in Uniform
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 12:32am
I made one from an old pop up canvas awning that was half rotted. I cut the bead off and sewed it to a light weight nylon tarp. I used the old poles and guy lines. We do not leave it attached to the pod but it only takes a few minutes to put it up if I want it.
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
Leaflin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leaflin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 10:20am
By 'regular awning' do you mean the type that is permanently attached and you can pull it out?
Unless it has a curve to it, I don't see how it could work as there just isn't enough room, plus they are quite heavy.
I bought some Sunbrella awning material from Sailrite as well as some Keder Awning Rope to slide in the track and am working on a design at present.

I'm thinking something similar to this but with a zippered sleeve to contain it.

Leaf-Pod 173
97 Ford Explorer
http://www.leaflin.net
Mrs. 'Piper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs. 'Piper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 4:23pm

This is a picture of one that we made ourselves.  It is 8ft. wide by 6ft. deep.  It does fit in the r-dom track.  Got the supplies from Sailrite and Cabellas.  I know that a couple of others have had one made through canvas companies.  When staying for longer periods of time and when it's not too windy for set-up, we do use the r-dome.  It's nice to have options.
Mrs. 'Piper (Anne)
Sandpiper (Carroll)
RPOD 177
Site #196 2011 Eastern Roundup
tedbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 5:21pm
happy_camper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happy_camper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 12:19pm
I must admit that I am not a fan of the dome.  We camped loads last summer and ended up only putting it up once.  It is a pain to put up and in my opinion is pretty durn ugly.   Would prefer something like those posted on the t@b
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 8:13pm
The t@b one is too cute.  We have learned to use our dome and to like it as well.  You can permanently unzip the sides so that it's more of an awning.
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

Jestforpun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jestforpun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 8:32pm
We are looking for anyone who does not want their dome to have a second one for backup.  I know some people love them, some hate them.  If anyone hates theirs and would like to ship it to us, we'd gladly pay the shipping.

I can be reached at 608-385-4675 or email at dollmaker127@gmail.com.
Cheryl
The Jester Queen, traveling with her husband, Left Brain and their cat, She Devil. Follow their adventures at http://lifeinacannedham.blogspot.com
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 7:58pm
As far as I know, no one manufactures a regular RV awning short enough to be installed on a Pod.
The roof curvature precludes adding a straight awning to the side.  Even the shortest bracket would extend out beyond the roof line.

tsunami
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Footslogger03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 11:33am
Originally posted by sylviablue sylviablue wrote:

The t@b one is too cute.  We have learned to use our dome and to like it as well.  You can permanently unzip the sides so that it's more of an awning.

=========

Cute, yes   ...well built, yes   ...but, that was our very first camper and they are small inside. Not a big deal for 2 average sized adults. But we have a large dog and tried to stay out for several months last summer. We almost lost our minds !

Came home from that trip and bought our 177 R-pod     ...wow, what a different a few feet and different layout makes !

Don't get me wrong    ...we loved our T@B but it wasn't the right camper for us in the end - - and we had it for 3 seasons !

MJ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic