r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Road dust inside r-pod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Road dust inside r-pod
    Posted: 07 May 2011 at 5:54pm
Just came back from our first r-pod outing.  We traveled about 10 miles of dusty dirt road here in Montana.  All of the obvious openings (windows, door, hatch in head, etc.) were closed tight.  Upon arriving at our camping spot, we found a tremendous amount of road dust inside the pod.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.  Is this normal when traveling dirt roads? 

garpod
TheDogHouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDogHouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 9:38pm
First place I'd look is the outside panel to refrigerator. This seems to be a huge collector of dirt, bugs and even wasps. Someone on one of the two R-Pod forum's has detailed how they approached screening in this area, sorry but I don''t remember who. I'm not sure this would help with the haul down a dusty trail as you have to allow for air circulation. You might pull the outside panel off and see if the area is filled with dust.

Steve and Rosa
2011 R Pod 173T * 2009 Silverado ext cab
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 9:51pm
check the door, they get a little out of adjustment.  From the inside, make sure you don't see any light coming in around the door seal.  You can adjust the latch to make it fit tighter. Make sure that all the openings for the pipes, hose's and around the refrigator are sealed up with caulk.  It doesn't take much of an opening.
Lark 171 F150 MN 

Lark
headcold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote headcold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 9:54pm
I also live in the Bozone, but spent the last three weeks in the Southern Utah Desert, camped back in the Pinyon-Juniper in our 2011 r-pod 172.  We had one terrific sandstorm; but suffered very little sand in the r-pod even though it blew sand into the locked coolers which we keep outside.  We just kept the pod buttoned up at the slightest hint of a wind, especially the ventilator.  We did get some sand through the water-heater hatch.

Incidentally, the water heater failed on us midway .... though we didn't buy our R-Pod from the Forest River dealer in Bozeman (Bozeman Ford) because they weren't carrying them until last March, Laura, the RV maven, at Bozeman Ford was prompt, courteous, even enthusiastic making the warranty repairs.  I'm sold at that RV dealership.
garpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 7:11pm

We had Bozeman Ford re-seal the refrigerator opening, and that helped a little.  But still got dust inside.  Last trip we taped the heater vents on the outside with blue painters tape, which comes off easily.  This really fixed the problem.  Did at least a 20 mile drive on dusty roads this weekend and no dust inside.  Hooray.  To the Bozeman guy.... went up the West Fork of the Madison.  Really beautiful!  Not crowded even on the holiday weekend and great mountain biking.

r-pod 171
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 2:40pm
I recommend parking your Pod in full sunlight and try to 'blacken out' the windows. The Pod door was light tight against its frame but I found light streaming in between the door frame and the Pod wall!  The factory had neglected in completely sealing the gap around the door.  It took a couple of long strips  of silicon sealant to fill the gap.  The holes in the floor where the pipes for the shower/toilet were installed were also partially lacking in flexible foam filling also.  Even tho' the holding tanks are installed on the bottom of the flooring...light was leaking in there also.  Dust could also enter there.
By the way...I learned the above lesson from having to seal up my Forest River RV a few years ago. I actually had more sealing problems with my RV than my Pod (more manufacturing holes in the RV). 
tsunami
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 3:01pm

I put thick weather stripping around the outside edge of my refrigerator as there most likely is a space around your frig that lets bugs and dirt in, and also lets heat or air conditioning out. If you go inside of your pod and look at how the frig is situated in its cabinet most likely you will see daylight coming thru gaps at the top and sides of the frig. I did and so I put weather stripping all around the edge of the frig  on the inside of the pod and it helps to keep dust and bugs out, as well as heat or air conditioning in.  Insulating form sealant, which you can get at Wal-Mart or Home Depot, will also work because you spray it in the gaps and it expands, hardens, and seals those gaps. I had bugs coming into my pod when I was camping and I saw that they were getting in thru the gaps around the frig that was the main reason why I closed those gaps.

XPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 6:05am

I modded my Pod for winter camping and found all the holes and I think I can help you in addition to what has been mentioned the big problem is how FR constructs the R-Pod. Underneath the shower/toilet, there are multiple holes for the PVC pipes. For example, there is one PVC pipe that runs from the black tank to the roof vent. The problem? Forest River cuts the hole about 50% larger than the pipe. My guess is it speeds up production but is is very sloppy. This wasn't easy, but when you get the holes filled, man the Pod is warm and toasty in the winter, and probably will stay cooler in the summer. So....here are the holes I filled up with spray foam.

1. Gaps around the fridge...as mentioned above
2. Under the shower, the oversized PVC holes. To reach them....
        - I had to remove the vent from the front of the shower.
        - Under the bottom bunk, I cut a hole in the "wall"
        - It took multiple cans of expanding foam, you might want to use screen to fill, then foam
3. Under the sink where the water hose comes in.
4. Where the cut out for the water fill is.
5. Where the cut out for the outside outlet/cable tv hook up is.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic