r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > R-Pod Videos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to place an rpod cover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drjenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 2:48am
Hi,
We just bought our rp177, and the dealer financial guy commented during the proceedings that we should definitely not buy the cover.  He said they had them for sale, but don't put them on, because they get dirt underneath them and cause abrasion on the fiberglass shell.  He said they get damp and seep water through, and make a mess.  But on the other hand, they do provide UV protection over the winter.  On our last tent trailer, I had a cover, and I must admit, when taking it off in the spring I was mystified as to where the dirt came from sitting on the roof.  Maybe it was a cheap cover.  But can anyone comment who has used one of these rpod covers, was there dirt underneath on the roof when you took it off in the spring?  How is your experience generally with it, was it worth using?  I'm tending to think I'd like the protection if there are no harmful side effects.  Thanks
David J.
pmjensen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmjensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 10:04am
I have found when putting the cover on Nuestro Pod, by myself, that using a 10' piece of 1/2" aluminum electrical conduit with a tennis ball stuck on top.  I do thing I may try a little larger conduit as the 1/2" tend to bend a fair amount.  I have only put in on a couple of times so as I do it more hopefully it will take less time. Now it takes about 15 minutes. 
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2011 Frontier SV
GaRedneck81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaRedneck81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 11:21am
I bought a cover strickly for the UV protection it affords the R-POD. It would be asking alot from a cover to put it on and then 4 months later take it off and expect your Pod to be pristeen and not need a bath.  My cover has small holes(hard to see with these eyes) to let the cover "breath" and dry after a rain. They have never claimed these to be "waterproof", no cover makes that claim. To the opinion of your dealer stating that the dirt scratched the fiberglass; I would have to throw out the bull*hit flag on that one.
GaRedneck81
U.S.Navy-Retired
Heavy Chevy 5.7 liter
RP-172
Kennesaw, Ga.
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 3:23pm
The "cover scratching the camper" debate is a long one, not just with the R-Pods.  Bottom line, if you cover and that cover rubs against a corner, side or portion of the camper consistently, it's going to do damage by leaving scuffs, scratches, etc.  It physics and is guaranteed to occur.  That's why I don't cover any of my campers.  I'll let the UV rays do what they want, but I'm not about to turn my campers into big wind-catchers, so they can get scuffed, scratch and marred by the friction of the cover rubbing the surfaces.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

patmin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 2:25pm
"Necessity is the mother of invention".....aren't people surprisingly inventive?!? Great and helpful ideas. Thanks guys & gals.
dondee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dondee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 2:28pm
Thanks for that. We spent over an hour in the boiling sun trying to put the cover on the first and only time we tried. lol
LadyCamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyCamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 1:40pm
Wonderful way to put on cover. Any hints for one person? Think this would work with longer pole in middle of cover? http://www.rpodnation.com/smileys/smiley32.gif
Happy Camper
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 7:56am
Some great help on getting to cover on.  I did it by myself using a fiberglass pole.  Once I got it over the AC and antenna, it was fairly easy to get it the rest of the way.  Laying it out on the ground upside down was very helpful.  The cover is a very worth well investment for storing outside in MN.   I used one for my 171 before trading it, and it helped keeping it looking good.
Lark 2015 R-179  F -150 
Lark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic