r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Comments on R-Dome awning/tent pleae

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 11:49am
Originally posted by drjenk drjenk wrote:

What material did you use for the part that slides into the c channel?

It's called awning rope, it's vinyl and comes prefabbed with a lip to sew to the awning. Available in several sizes depending on your track. You need a fairly hefty machine to sew it on or else the patience to do it by hand with a big needle. If you view it on end it looks like a lollipop: a round circle with a stick.

A similar item that's more flexible is used on sailboats to thread headsails through a roller furling foil. It's called boltrope. I'm not sure boltrope comes large enough to be used for the awning, though. It's also more expensive than awning rope. I got my awning rope at sailrite.com but I'm sure it's available other places.

I have added a third pole in the middle since that photo was taken. That helps keep the rainwater from pooling in the center quite so much.

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 12:16pm
We had a hard time with the dome because of the wind when we were in Florida.  I love the dome so we did a little rigging to get it to stay put.  I took bungies and hooked them into the grommets on each side at the top.  I then hooked the bungie to the tongue in front and the bike rack in the back.  At the bottom, I use bungies to hook the bottom to the stabilizers.  Also, we used short bungies on each side at the front to make sure the bottom of dome did not lift.  Worked great in some really high winds.  Does not look so good though. lol  Did I mention we had really high winds. LOL
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
Lewie Krueger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewie Krueger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 5:51pm
Want to sell your's? If not ... where can we purchase an r-dome awning

Lewie@ishootdogs.com
Poddie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 9:03am
We love our dome and use it all the time.  About the only time we don't use it is in stormy weather -- if it's super rainy or super windy.  Our teenager generally sleeps in the dome.
I'd rather be Podding. :)
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Footslogger03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 9:51am
Having owned a teardrop with a similar tent room    ...we've chosen not to even take our R-Dome out of its box. I am just about to add a straditional 2 arm awning to our 177.

'Slogger
headcold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote headcold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 7:04pm
I parked my r-pod 172 on my land in Northern Minnesota for the month of July.  I had the r-dome up the entire time.  What surprised me is how well it stood up under several terrific wind and rain storms without collapsing, but water did come under the Walmart patio rug that I put down.  I mounted the dome on four pieces of interlocking 4X8 OSB board, which in turn were held off the ground by 12 cement blocks - an experiment on my part to get the shelter off the damp ground.  It worked great, but it didn't make for a mosquito- and fly-proof shelter.  Had it been on the ground, it might have held off the bugs better, but even this setup discouraged them.  My only complaint is that it was so hot and buggy that the dome heated up in the day; but, everyone suffered from the heat.  Another problem is that the little suction cups that hold parts of the dome to the r-pod itself aren't bomb-proof.  Unless set just right or if there is a change in the air temperature, they pop off.  Anyone have a remedy for this problem?

I think the whole experience convinced me of the value of the purchase.
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by headcold headcold wrote:

I My only complaint is that it was so hot and buggy that the dome heated up in the day; but, everyone suffered from the heat. 
This may not help some of your other problems, but here is my solution to the too hot.   I close all the flaps, open the door to Podterfly, turn the a/c up and put a small fan in front of the door.  Keeps the Rdome is of course not a cool as the pod, but is comfortable.   I colder weather (40-60), I have a cermeric heater that heats the dome enough to sit out in the morning for coffee.

LeeStar
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Butterfly_Lee Butterfly_Lee wrote:

I colder weather (40-60), I have a cermeric heater that heats the dome enough to sit out in the morning for coffee.

LeeStar

Last fall on a particularly chilly and damp morning we fired up a "milk house heater" in the dome.. was wonderful.. and crowded with tent camping friends. Big smile
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
rick350 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 7:28pm
We gave up on the dome. We are just as happy using one of those EZ up tents
Rick & Pam
R-177
'12 GMC Canyon
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Butterfly_Lee Butterfly_Lee wrote:

Originally posted by headcold headcold wrote:

I My only complaint is that it was so hot and buggy that the dome heated up in the day; but, everyone suffered from the heat. 
This may not help some of your other problems, but here is my solution to the too hot.   I close all the flaps, open the door to Podterfly, turn the a/c up and put a small fan in front of the door.  Keeps the Rdome is of course not a cool as the pod, but is comfortable.   I colder weather (40-60), I have a cermeric heater that heats the dome enough to sit out in the morning for coffee.

LeeStar

I keep wanting to try this Lee, I can't convince my wife that some of you have done this and it actually works.  We've put our heater out in the dome all zipped up a few times and it does a good enough job for some morning coffee like you said.

She just won't even begin to thnk that the ac with a fan in the door might cool it some.  I'll have to bring this point up to her again!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic