r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Comments on R-Dome awning/tent pleae

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marc515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comments on R-Dome awning/tent pleae
    Posted: 19 May 2011 at 6:37am
Just wondering how many of you guys acually use the R Dome tent/awning/room, or have just opted for an independent screen room?

I'm thinking we need an awning and a screen room, but just wondering if it's wouldn't be easier to just get a regular screen room.

Thank you
Best Regards,.....Marc & Joan
And....Tucker (our yellow lab)
2011 Heartland MPG-181
2011 Nissan Pathfinder
USMC 69-73
God Bless all our Men & Women in Uniform
pmjensen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmjensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 9:09am
There has been much discussion on this topic. (Use the search tool with the word R-Dome and you will find a lot of information)  Speaking personally, here in S. TX, unless there is too much wind, we always put ours up.  It give us a 9 x 12 outdoor room with screens.  Yes, it takes 20 min or so to put up, but so worth it.

Happy Podding
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2011 Frontier SV
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 9:31am
It was one of the features that really sold us on the rpod in the first place. That being said, we don't use ours for three reasons:
  • As stated, it is not as easy to put up as a screen house.
  • It blocks the light and view on one side of the pod.
  • And it does feel like another room. This sounds good except that we keep leaving the door open and the dog gets out. Being a beagle, he follows his nose and could be in the next county before either he or we realize he's gone.
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 11:02am
My dealer included the R-Dome as part of their sales package.  I checked that the upper slide on the POD was smooth with no screws extending outward.  I have only used the Dome several times because I feel that it is just too big.  We stay mainly in public campgrounds which usually have quite narrow lots which are not wide enough to extend the Dome.  I bought a small 'pop' up canopy which was taller than most (to clear the POD door when open).  It only takes a couple of minutes to completely open or take down. If it is raining some water does leak between the POD and canopy, but the trade off is that it doesn't take very long to close the canopy if the wind comes up.  If we were going to stay in one camp site for more than a couple of days and knew that the weather was going to be calm we might bring the Dome with.

tsunami
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 12:47pm
I use mine all the time, I generally leave the front off and keep the sides, it all depends on weather, where the sun is in relation to the front door.  
I have completely enclosed the dome both in very hot (put the A/c on high w/fan blowing out the door) and very cold weather ((to me) and placed a cermeric heater in the dome area to make it cozy).

The next winter I may make an awning, for shorter trips and to give me more options.  Someone posted instructions or how to make your our somewhere...again it's a winter project.

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
GaRedneck81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaRedneck81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 4:08pm
I use mine if I am planning on staying more than one night or if the weather is going to be ok, (ie-no rain), but with the limited room in the r-pod to just sit around; it really expands the living area. It really only takes me about 15 minutes to unpack it and set it up by myself. 20 minutes to take it down and get it back in that crappy little bag it comes in. I do wish they had given us more than 1 option, such as an awning similar to the ones I have seen others have had custom made.
GaRedneck81
U.S.Navy-Retired
Heavy Chevy 5.7 liter
RP-172
Kennesaw, Ga.
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 6:49pm
If I stay longer than 1 night I always put it up. It takes me by myself about 20 minutes to put it up. I always stake it down and never have had a problem in the wind. Love itTongue
Theresa's Seaside Cowgirl
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 7:14pm
We've had our r-pod and our r-dome for a year. We've only used it once. It's big and most of the campsites we've been to are either too small to put it up or have a tree in the way (curse those damn trees <LOL>).

But we're headed for Texas soon and then another trip to Florida in the early fall so we hope to be able to use it more.

I should point out that we (along with others on this forum) have had problems with the mounting track on the r-pod where you attach the r-dome. Search on the forum for fixes. Forest River really dropped the ball on this one. It wasn't an expensive fix but it took me half a day to remove the incorrect fasteners, countersink the mounting holes in the mounting track, and replace the incorrect fasteners.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 9:59pm
I love my dome!! Always use it if the wind is okay and more than 1 night. I put it up by myself too.  It's worth the trouble to me to have the privacy if I need it and have the extra room.

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 9:26am
The extra room is priceless.  Setup is ok after you do it once or twice.  Probably 10 to 15 minutes 

Because we store it under the front bed, I don't want it to smell if it were to get wet so we don't use it if there is rain in the forecast. 

Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic