r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Comments on R-Dome awning/tent pleae

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 9:31am
Originally posted by GaRedneck81 GaRedneck81 wrote:

"get it back in that crappy little bag it comes in".

Yes it's a crappy bag and is hard manage.  I picked up a couple of small canvas zippered tote bags at a yard sale , I put the front and skirt in a small bag because I don't use them as much and a medium bag fits the rest.   I used to just lay the poles in the pass thru, but built myself another set of vinyl fence post storage for poles and electrical cords (1 each).

LeeClap

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Mountaineer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountaineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 9:53am
TSUNAMI:  We elected also to get a pop-up camper awning rather than go with the dome, but ours does get in the way of the R-Pod door opening.  You mentioned that you bought one that clears the door.  Would you please share info on when you got it and approx cost - is it a 6' or a 7' awning.  Thanks,  Jerry
Jerry
cmjmoore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 10:05am
We decided on ordering the awning first from Bear Creek Canvas, since we are mainly looking for coverage in the evening when we are traveling. The R Dome seems like the ideal cover if you are staying a few days. Like many here we have a screen room and an EZ but may get a R Dome in the fall.  Tri-Pod  
TRI-POD
Me, my Honey & Max our GSP
2013 Surveyor SP 240
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
marc515 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marc515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 11:34am
Originally posted by cmjmoore cmjmoore wrote:

We decided on ordering the awning first from Bear Creek Canvas, since we are mainly looking for coverage in the evening when we are traveling. The R Dome seems like the ideal cover if you are staying a few days. Like many here we have a screen room and an EZ but may get a R Dome in the fall.  Tri-Pod  

Can you please post a pic of the Awning? Thank you
Best Regards,.....Marc & Joan
And....Tucker (our yellow lab)
2011 Heartland MPG-181
2011 Nissan Pathfinder
USMC 69-73
God Bless all our Men & Women in Uniform
doctomdds View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctomdds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 4:55pm
I like the dome. but use it according to need. 1st time putting up took 20 minutes (I had watched videos first, it helped lots), now it takes about 15 minutes, and I expect to be able to decrease that a bit over time.. Short stays, nice weather, just the two of us and the dog, no dome. Long stay, extra company, yes. I really like to be outside, though, that's why I go camping. I use the pod to sleep ( I got tired of getting up off the ground each morning), cook, and when the weather is not so great. 

I did not want to drill holes and intall the snaps into the skin of the pod (since the dealer didn't install them), so I just use suction cups/hooks on the sides and clip the bottom of the dome to the stab. jacks. I seldom use the skirt along the bottom of the trailer.
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 6:40pm
What a lot of others just said:

Love my dome,

Use it for more than one night's stay, weather permitting

Love the privacy and extra room ~ it's  like doubling the space of your r-pod

You can leave one or all sides up if you want the light and openness

Takes us maybe 15 minutes to put up

In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

AHolmes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AHolmes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 3:17pm
What type of pop up canopy did you buy? I've been trying to find one tall enough to go over the door! Thank you for your help!!
2010 Rpod 171
2003 trailblazer
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpierce220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 4:55pm
We used the dome once, and we really liked it.  The 2011s come with suction cups that take a little getting used to in figuring out how to use it, but once you do it is a breeze.  
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by tpierce220 tpierce220 wrote:

We used the dome once, and we really liked it.  The 2011s come with suction cups that take a little getting used to in figuring out how to use it, but once you do it is a breeze.  

I haven't quite figured out our suction cups yet, ours fell off half the time and the other half they didn't seem to hold the dome to the Pod.  I'm very confused as to how they work.

Of all the things to have not paid attention to at the dealer, how the suction cups and hooks work with those grommets is beyond me.  Confused
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpierce220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 10:06pm
Louis figured it out.  You have to push in on the hook and then move the hook either up or down which creates the suction.  What we need to figure out is how to evenly space the dome so that it clears the passthroughs and the front window.
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic