r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Comments on R-Dome awning/tent pleae

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 11:26pm
Wetting the inside of the suction cup will make it have a better seal. Spit works great. Smile
Originally posted by kymooses kymooses wrote:

Originally posted by tpierce220 tpierce220 wrote:

We used the dome once, and we really liked it.  The 2011s come with suction cups that take a little getting used to in figuring out how to use it, but once you do it is a breeze.  

I haven't quite figured out our suction cups yet, ours fell off half the time and the other half they didn't seem to hold the dome to the Pod.  I'm very confused as to how they work.

Of all the things to have not paid attention to at the dealer, how the suction cups and hooks work with those grommets is beyond me.  Confused
2011 Visa 23RBK pulled with 2010 Nissan Titan. 12.5 MPG when towing.
The Most Beautiful Thing In Life Is The Ability To love.
www.BillyAdeliza.homestead.com
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Billy Bob Billy Bob wrote:

Wetting the inside of the suction cup will make it have a better seal. Spit works great. Smile

Originally posted by tpierce220 tpierce220 wrote:

We used the dome once, and we really liked it.  The 2011s come with suction cups that take a little getting used to in figuring out how to use it, but once you do it is a breeze.  

I haven't quite figured out our suction cups yet, ours fell off half the time and the other half they didn't seem to hold the dome to the Pod.  I'm very confused as to how they work.

Of all the things to have not paid attention to at the dealer, how the suction cups and hooks work with those grommets is beyond me.  Confused

I still can't get them to actually hold the dome, I've turned the hook up down left and right but at no angle does it seem to actually hold the dome to the Pod.  Even the slightest breeze pulls the grommets off the hooks.

Oh and spit works great the first time, I made the mistake of licking a suction cup after it had fallen the first time, I'll let you all know, Rpods are cool, but they taste funny!  LOL
cmjmoore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 6:30pm
Awning came and we got it up looks great just can't seem to figured out how to post pictures here? Will have to do some more reading. Gosh, I hate to read instructions.

TRI-POD
Me, my Honey & Max our GSP
2013 Surveyor SP 240
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 7:52am
Originally posted by cmjmoore cmjmoore wrote:

Awning came and we got it up looks great just can't seem to figured out how to post pictures here? Will have to do some more reading. Gosh, I hate to read instructions.

Here's a resident sticky thread about uploading pictures.  Basically any program you might have that can resize your photos to the allowed upload limit will work.

The program in the thread is quite easy to use as well if you don't have another program that you prefer using.

HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 8:54am
Our awning in use recently in Ontario. It's made from an old headsail, I've got enough old sails left to make a couple more if I need to. The line tensioners are made from pop bottle caps. It's a work in progress, right now I'm planning to add provisions for a third pole in front.

We like the rDome too, but this has its advantages sometimes. Super quick setup and no zipping/unzipping of doors. Of course, it's really bad at keeping the mosquitos out.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 4:37pm

I still can't get them (suction cups) to actually hold the dome, I've turned the hook up down left and right but at no angle does it seem to actually hold the dome to the Pod.  Even the slightest breeze pulls the grommets off the hooks.

We put the hook thru the grommet, then squeezed them shut with pliers. They stay attached to the dome all the time.

I do believe that FR got the idea for the suction cups from this very forum.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by HuronSailor HuronSailor wrote:

I still can't get them (suction cups) to actually hold the dome, I've turned the hook up down left and right but at no angle does it seem to actually hold the dome to the Pod.  Even the slightest breeze pulls the grommets off the hooks.

We put the hook thru the grommet, then squeezed them shut with pliers. They stay attached to the dome all the time.

I do believe that FR got the idea for the suction cups from this very forum.
Also depends on the suction cups..tried and tried with the ones with the plastic hooks and they would not stick...the ones with the little metal hook have worked GREAT the last two trips.  Also someone took the hook off and push/force the little plastic head through the hole in the grommets and that worked for them. 

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
desertskyblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 6:21pm
What kind of suction cups/hooks did you use?  We have the dome, just got it and used it once, but am a bit confused about install on the grommets...  Thanks....
desertskyblue
Caverkim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caverkim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 6:47pm
We love our dome!  We got the suction cups either at a dollar store or Walmart...nothing special.   
caver*pod 175/Louisville KY
drjenk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drjenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 12:59am
Hi,
Great solution it looks like.  What material did you use for the part that slides into the c channel?  I would think it needs to be rigid enough to slide in, but pliable enough to fold? 

Thanks
David J.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic