r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Reviews and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rear garage/kitchen vs pop-out bed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewsterjdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear garage/kitchen vs pop-out bed
    Posted: 22 May 2011 at 7:59am
i havent seen much discussion about the rear kithen. are many being bought/camped with? is it an idea that really works or is it just a cool concept in the brochures? havent bought a camper yet. sold our old pop-up(musty canvas, no bathroom- we have a 2 yr old and an 8 yr old- etc) and are liking the r-pods. we think we would do a "T" or a "G". leaning more (at this moment) towards the "T" cause i like the feeling of sleeping in a 'tent' rather than in a box. how do r-pods stack up against t@bs, or mpg184 or similar trailers?
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpierce220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 10:01am
We have the 182g and love it.  When the weather will allow it, we are planning on using the sink in the garage as a prep area and probably as a place to wash dishes as it also has a sizable area next to it where you can put a dish drainer and have the water drain into the drain hole.

It comes with two attachable "faucets".  One works as a regular faucet, but other is a sprayer hose that can be used as an outside shower.  

You can also have the TV plugged in back there or if you want to listen to music, there are speakers in the garage that have pretty good sound to them.  

The best thing of all, however, is the extra storage you'll get back there.  Right now we have our table cloth/seat cushions and our bbqing stuff back there.  You will also find a couple of baskets back there to store things along with a mesh contraption that runs the width of the garage that can be used to store all sorts of things.

The bottom line is what you prefer.  

Best of luck!

Tim
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
2Peas-n-RPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Peas-n-RPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 10:58am
I would second what Tim said above. We love our 182G, but if you need the extra bed space, the "T" model would work very well for you. If possible, go to a dealer and spend some time in each model to experience the "feel" of each. Good Luck!
2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition
"Ribbitt" Pod
2000 Ford F150 5.4L V8 TV
turncoat3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turncoat3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 11:08am

Althought the rear galley area seems to be a good thing, we have a RP177 with the slide out galley which gives us an extra 2 feet of space in the center of the camper.  We have a full size bed in the rear and a 4 seat dinnet in the front.  The rear bed is probably warmer in cooler weather.  

We are not much on out door cooking but then again a lot of Podders are.
The link below will take you to all of the floor plans and can help with choices.
Good luck
Ben & Lorrie
2010 RP177
argh6 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argh6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 11:38am
My family loves our 172T.  We especially love the fact that when the weather is beautiful, we can open up the tent and let the fresh breeze blow through, or leave it closed when the weather turns sour and be snug and cozy inside!  Plus with the tent popped out you've got a ton of extra space inside!
Jerry, Julie, Kaiti, & Abbi ~ Phoenix, AZ ~ 2010 172T ~ 2004 Acura MDX
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 12:34pm
Love the 'G' in our 181g! 

I have done every bit of our cooking so far back in the back at the garage area.  Hook up the little attached grill, turn on the radio and I have all the BBQ and cooking things I need ready and at hand.

I love all the storage options back there and the DW really loves the sink area, we've done all our dishes back there so far, and the other compartment which doubles as a cooler serves as a great place for the dish drainer.  I've found this to be a great storage place for tiki torches and fuel, fire logs, and other things campfire related that I might not always want sitting around inside a tub in the pod.

Only complaint as I've mentioned before is having that garage sink drain into the black tank instead of the grey, something I will soon find a solution for no doubt.
cmjmoore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 6:35pm
I heard that you couldn't do camp grounds were there are bears' with pop up because of the canves sides. Does any one know if that is true? Clark
TRI-POD
Me, my Honey & Max our GSP
2013 Surveyor SP 240
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by cmjmoore cmjmoore wrote:

I heard that you couldn't do camp grounds were there are bears' with pop up because of the canus sides. Does any one know if that is true? Clark

I've never heard of any Park that has a bear population that allows PUPS, Hybrids, or tent camping of any sort due to the bears and their tendancies.  Fully enclosed units only.
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 8:16am

I heard that you couldn't do camp grounds were there are bears' with pop up because of the canus sides. Does any one know if that is true? Clark

We spent 3 weeks in the Yellowstone area last summer and saw lots of tents and popups. 

The question you really want to ask yourself is, do you really *want* to camp in a canvas camper in an area where there are bears. A tent camper was killed by a bear just outside Yellowstone last year.

We stayed in the Yellowstone area for 3 weeks last year. At one of the campgrounds in West Yellowstone (KOA), a mama bear and her 2 cubs were coming into the campground every night. The owner had to hire guards to patrol the campground each night in case there was a problem. They also tried, unsuccessfully, to capture the bears. There were both tents and popups at this campground and I remember wondering if the people inside felt safe at night.

Of course, if a bear wants into your r-pod, it won't matter whether you have a model with the canvas or not. A bear is fully capable of ripping your pod door off in a New York second.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

We spent 3 weeks in the Yellowstone area last summer and saw lots of tents and popups. 

The question you really want to ask yourself is, do you really *want* to camp in a canvas camper in an area where there are bears. A tent camper was killed by a bear just outside Yellowstone last year.

We stayed in the Yellowstone area for 3 weeks last year. At one of the campgrounds in West Yellowstone (KOA), a mama bear and her 2 cubs were coming into the campground every night. The owner had to hire guards to patrol the campground each night in case there was a problem. They also tried, unsuccessfully, to capture the bears. There were both tents and popups at this campground and I remember wondering if the people inside felt safe at night.

Of course, if a bear wants into your r-pod, it won't matter whether you have a model with the canvas or not. A bear is fully capable of ripping your pod door off in a New York second.

-- Steve

I had no idea, I've always read to the contrary about PUP and tent camping at places like that.  Good to know Steve!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic