r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weight Distribution Hitch

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: How many of you guys use a weight Distribution Hitch for your R Pod?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [27.27%]
8 [72.73%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marc515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight Distribution Hitch
    Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 6:16pm
Does a trailer as small as the R pod really need a WDH?
Best Regards,.....Marc & Joan
And....Tucker (our yellow lab)
2011 Heartland MPG-181
2011 Nissan Pathfinder
USMC 69-73
God Bless all our Men & Women in Uniform
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 6:38pm
Depends on the tow vehicle
Theresa's Seaside Cowgirl
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
Bill in NL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill in NL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 7:57pm
To elaborate little, if you're towing a 176-T like me, and you have a RAV-4 or a Hyundai Santa Fe, then the tongue weight will sag the rear end of the car, and a WD might be a good idea. However if your towing a 176-T with a 3/4 ton truck with the 7.4 litre diesel, it's probably not necessary.
Last year, with the above mentioned trailer, and a Santa Fe, I really needed the WDH to keep the car and trailer level, however, I still found the trailer a bit much for this vehicle as it only has a 3200 lb tow rating. I have since upgraded to a 2010 Jeep Liberty (5000 lb tow rating), and there is quite a difference in how the two vehicles handle the weight. That being said, I still bought a WDH to go with the new tow vehicle.  I did need to order an axle riser kit for the trailer, as the Jeep hitch is a good bit higher than the Santa Fe hitch, and it was better to raise the trailer than to lower the hitch in my case.

Hope this helps.
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 8:13pm
As others have said, it depends on your tow vehicle.

If you have a small or mid-sized SUV, you'll benefit from a WDH. It will eliminate the "sag" with your tow vehicle and the "porposing" motion as you go down the road.

We have a 177 and our tow vehicle is rated at 3,500 pounds. We have an e2 WDH with sway control and it makes traveling a lot more comfortable. Without the WDH, the rear of our tow vehicle drops about 3". With the WDH, it remains level. If you're towing with a truck, you may not need it.

The other issue is sway control. That is something I think is important no matter what tow vehicle you have. You don't want to be in a situation where you look in your side view mirror and see your rpod in the other lane <g>. We took our pod up to northern Wisconsin this weekend. The winds on the return trip were fierce. But the pod stayed where it belonged and tracked as it should directly behind our tow vehicle.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
joe&carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe&carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 10:25pm
When we used a ZR-2 Chevy Blazer (tow capacity 4700) as our tow vehicle, we used a WDH to both level our the tow package as well as a mitigation device for sway control in high wind areas.  This spring, we went to a Chevy Tahoe (tow capacity 8200) and are just using an anti-sway bar to control the r.pod in high winds.   The WDH didn't seem necessary with the Tahoe as the rear springs are "beefed up" when compared to the Blazer.   Had a couple hours of really strong winds last week while going to Pueblo State Park and the Tahoe worked quite well with just the anti-sway bar.  Joe
Joe & Carol
r-pod 173
Pawpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pawpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 10:29pm
Our front wheel drive Montana sv6 needed one. We are pulling a 177, but it depends on your vehicle and how you feel driving while towing. Feel alot better with it now!
Ready to pod around.
cmjmoore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 10:45pm
We are pulling with my 2003 6.cylinder extended cab Tundra which has a tow capacity of 5,300lbs. It seems to be a perfect fit and with everything loaded both truck and Rpod are level. We plan to put a hitch on the wifes 2004 Honda Pilot which is rated for 5,600 lbs and may want to put WDH on when we do that. Be interested in what other Pilot owners are doing.
TRI-POD
Me, my Honey & Max our GSP
2013 Surveyor SP 240
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
pmjensen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmjensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 10:09am
We recently changed from an 09 Equinox (3500 Lb Capacity) to a 11 Frontier Crew Cab(6300 Lb Capacity) The Pod was just a little below level with the Equinox and is level with the Frontier.  Have not felt the need for a WDH, but did add a Curt Friction sway control recently which does help with all the wind we have here in So TX
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2011 Frontier SV
kmcmurph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmcmurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 10:15am
We run a 2004 Expedition and do not use a weight distributing hitch, although I do use a sway bar sometimes if it is really windy.
Karl, Kerri and the hounds:: 5.4L '04 Expedition:: 2010 177
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 1:40pm
I have a 4 cyl standard transmisson Frontier, and use a WDH (EZ2), which also controls sway.

It's always windy here!.

LeeClap

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic