r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RPod Sewer Hose Carrier

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RPod Sewer Hose Carrier
    Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 6:04am
Following a recent RPod outing last weekend, I noticed one of the two hinged doors on either end of the trailer's tongue mounted sewer tube was missing. I theorize that having stuffed in my sewer hose with the end cap on, the stress on the latching doors was too much, causing one to pop off. Not good. Fortunately, I didn't lose the hose as well...

Don't know if you've ever looked closely at the sewer tube doors, but the hinge is the weakest part, and not meant to take a great deal of internal stress. There's a small locking hole below the latch that offers a little more security.

On examination of the remaining door, I found it was embossed with a manufacturer's name, web site and 800 number. How often do you find that? Turns out these hose carriers are called a "SuperTube" and are manufactured by a company known as D&W Inc. of Elkhart, IN (where else?). They can be found on the internet at http://www.dwincorp.com or by calling
574-264-9674.

On Monday of this week, I put in a call to D&W, spoke to a nice representative and confessed my stupidity. The rep said, "No problem, I'll drop one in the mail today!". Yesterday afternoon (Wednesday) I had the part (no charge), and reinstalled it. Big smile

So here's my point: you don't often get that kind of customer service, particularly when the customer is at fault. These are good people.

Have a look at their web site. They offer all kinds of storage/venting related RV parts and they're very competitively priced. They prefer you use the web site for ordering, by the way.

The Chicken Ranch Ea View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Chicken Ranch Ea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 6:28am

Love this forum! Just ordered a new one, as ours was destroyed digging out from the snow prior to the florida trip, will also look into mounting one in the truck for a rod carrier.

The Chicken Ranch East
pmjensen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmjensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 11:51am
Somewhere on this forum there are instructions on making your own hose carrier using a PVC fence post.  I did this mod and it works great.  I use the front one for extension cords etc.

Happy Podding
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2011 Frontier SV
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 1:08pm
Here's the link for Sewer hose Carrier Instructions, plus a couple of different ones.  

I liked so well I double mine up, front and back,  Front has sewer stuff and back has poles and electrical cords, rope lights and such.  

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Purdycat87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purdycat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 2:58am
This is good to know.  The door on my hose carrier broke in May on our last outing.  however I'd been thinking of getting a longer one, as I need a longer hose at many sites. Will have to check out the DIY link.
I'm a widow but keeping camping going for my 2 kids in our 2011 176T with a 2007 Odyssey.
Sixgunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 5:48am
I haven't calculated the total cost of a DIY sewer tube, but it might be advisable to compare the cost of a longer SuperTube as offered by D&W. The standard tube on the RPod is but 25.5 in, however the same tube is offered out to 36 in for $25 plus shipping. Of course, this assumes you can get by without a trailer width tube, which pretty much limits you to a DIY construction...
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Sixgunner Sixgunner wrote:

I haven't calculated the total cost of a DIY sewer tube, but it might be advisable to compare the cost of a longer SuperTube as offered by D&W. The standard tube on the RPod is but 25.5 in, however the same tube is offered out to 36 in for $25 plus shipping. Of course, this assumes you can get by without a trailer width tube, which pretty much limits you to a DIY construction...

Valterra makes one the same width as the rpod. But you have to call them and ask for it. It's not advertised (at least not anywhere I've seen). I have one but I can't remember what I paid for it.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Sixgunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 9:55pm
Yet another source!

http://www.valterra.com/rv/rv-main.htm

EZ Hose Carriers
, in lengths of 18-94 inches...
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 7:14pm
Camping world has one that goes frame to frame. I painted it black and you don't notice it. I think it was 36.00 dollars. I have had it for a year, works great.
Theresa's Seaside Cowgirl
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic