r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Awning Modifications

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Awning Modifications
    Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 5:30pm
I like the awning we purchased and it is easy for me to put up with just a two steep ladder. But I had trouble getting the front square and tight. So I added a cross pole at the front.
This was an easy fix, I purchased a piece of 1/2" electrical conduit and cut it 8" shorter than the distance between the gourmets. Then I purchased two aluminum turn buckles. Removed the screw eye bolts from both ends and drove the turn buckle into each end of the conduit with a leather mallet.

I originally was going to drill a hole in the side and put a pop rivet in to hold it in place, but the pressure fit of the turn buckle will not allow it to come out. Then I screwed the original threaded eye bolts in each end and adjusted until the eye lined up with the grommets.

Now when I put up the awning I place the cross piece on the end of the pole, then the awning grommet and then the rope guide over the top. You could use an old tent pole if you had one.

One of the advantages is you can slant the front of the awning by moving one of your upright polls back a little and if it rains in the night the awning drains perfectly.
The pole will fit in the pass through so it is not a problem to carry.

Clark

Close up view of the turn buckle and the end of the cross pole

Inside view of the cross pole

Front view
TRI-POD
Me, my Honey & Max our GSP
2013 Surveyor SP 240
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
GaRedneck81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaRedneck81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 6:25pm
Nice looking mod, how does it connect to your POD ?
GaRedneck81
U.S.Navy-Retired
Heavy Chevy 5.7 liter
RP-172
Kennesaw, Ga.
cmjmoore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 11:45am
The awning slides into the grove that is used for the r-dome. We ordered ours from Bear Creek Canvas. He has made several for customer and is real nice to talk with. It is not as large as the r-dome but allows you an easy awning that keeps the door out of the rain. Clark

http://www.bearcreekcanvas.com/index.php
TRI-POD
2013 Surveyor SP 240
5.7L V8
Caverkim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caverkim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 12:42pm
Love it!  We have been considering something to use like this instead of the Rdome.  Comes in handy when you are just staying somewhere 1 night.  Thanks for sharing
caver*pod 175/Louisville KY
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 1:09pm
    The idea of the poll across the front is great. What are the measurements of the awning? We may copy your idea.                  David and Danette
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
alli-gator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alli-gator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 12:03pm
This looks like a perfect solution for our quick weekend trips. The r-dome is great, but way too much involvment for a one or two night stay. I just sent an email for information to Bear Creek canvas. Thanks for the info.
Bruce and Ramsey
2011 RPod 177 "Alli-Gator Pod"
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 12:58pm
We've been talking about something like that too.  We are camping in the KOA in Fancy Gap, VA. (Nice Campground)  Even though we're staying four nights, we elected to use our easy up.  Has been rainy, and didn't want to have to take down rdome wet and have to dry it out when we get home.  The easy up doesn't go high enough for door, but the awing would be just right. Rob
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

cmjmoore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 3:24pm
David and Danette
Bear Creek Canvas all ready had the measurements because they had made several for other R-Pod owners. It can't be to long because of the curve of the R-Pod. I had originally thought I would make an awning out of shade cloth that blocks 90 percent. But by the time I would have purchased the slide piece, material, poles and such it was over $100.00, so this was a better idea. This picture shows a better view then the other one I posted. I don't mind measuring it for you but for $169.00, awning, polls, ropes and stakes it was a hard deal to pass up.

TRI-POD
2013 Surveyor SP 240
5.7L V8
okiecamper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okiecamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 11:15am
cmjmoore,
I emailed the Bear Creek Canvas  , and they told me they had some problems with r pods.
it depended on when and where thetrailer was made.

yours is a 2010, and where was it made, do you know?

thanks

Phil
there are storms in life, the secret is to learn how to dance in the rain

2010 172
2006 chevy siverado 1500
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic