r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tire Pressure Monitoring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmcmurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire Pressure Monitoring
    Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 12:46am
Has anyone taken the plunge yet and install a tire pressure monitoring system on their pod? I have seen a few nice kits on ebay, some where the tire would have to be removed to install and others with monitoring valve caps.
Karl, Kerri and the hounds:: 5.4L '04 Expedition:: 2010 177
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 5:26pm
We're ususally filling up gas and getting ice as we leave for trips, I always check and fill our tires at the pumps at the station.

How much are some of those kits you've seen though?  That would be a handy add-on!
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 5:38pm
The August issue of Trailer Life has an article about tire pressure monitors.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
kmcmurph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmcmurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 7:06pm
I have seen from about $150 to $250 for a 4 wheel kit.
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 7:19pm
I have a pressure monitoring system on my Pod. The sensors screw onto the tires.  There is a display that plugs into the dash.  I originally bought it for my RV, so it has a six sensor display.  I only need to display the two Pod sensors because my new TV has digital internal tire pressure display.  The purchase price was quite high but was told the sensors activate only when tire pressure is higher than ambient pressure so six sensors should last quite awhile using only two at a time.
I like the idea of being able to detect drop in air pressure while en-route.  The few times that I have had low tire pressure was picking up nails or road debris.  I usually check the pressure when I stop and buy gas.  The leaks would have caused major tire damage if I hadn't noticed a drop in pressure while traveling.  The sensor(s) gave me enough warning to stop at a convenient rest-area and change out the tire. More than paid back the cost.
tsunami
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 7:21pm
I replied to the other Tire Pressure Monitoring Thread that was started.  Having suffered a tire blow out on a large boat/trailer some years ago, I would like to look at this for the pod.  I was concerned if an aftermarket system for the pod would conflict with the factory system on my truck?  Rob
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 7:43pm
Our TV came with tire pressure sensors. We've been alerted to low pressures on 2 occasions. Both were false alarms. Not too impressed with the system.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Poddie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 10:25pm
Wal-Mart sells tire valve caps that are green when tires have appropriate pressure, and it shows red when the tire needs air. This might be a cheap way to start to monitor your trailer tires. Be sure and check them each time you stop for gas.
I'd rather be Podding. :)
marc515 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marc515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Poddie Poddie wrote:

Wal-Mart sells tire valve caps that are green when tires have appropriate pressure, and it shows red when the tire needs air. This might be a cheap way to start to monitor your trailer tires. Be sure and check them each time you stop for gas.

Sounds like a cost effective reolution; do they actually work? can you set the correct pressure?

Thank you
Best Regards,.....Marc & Joan
And....Tucker (our yellow lab)
2011 Heartland MPG-181
2011 Nissan Pathfinder
USMC 69-73
God Bless all our Men & Women in Uniform
kmcmurph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmcmurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 2:34pm
No, on that style valve stem cap, you look for the package that matches the tire pressure of the tire you want to use it on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic