r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > RpodNation Downtime and Maintenance > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AIR CONDITIONING

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 9:10am
The pod AC tripped our 20 amp breaker, no damage.  We installed a 30 amp breaker which is an easy and quick job.  Now it works fine.  My husband says we actually could run the microwave or other things at the same time but I haven't tried it.  We NEED the AC in this weather to cool off.  Our house has no AC. 
Once again the pod proves it's worth!
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 9:17am
Question for someone who knows more about electrical wiring than I do (which would be just about anyone on this forum <LOL>):

Is it safe to change out a breaker to one with a higher amperage without changing the house wiring to a larger gauge? Without the beefier wiring, wouldn't you have a fire hazard? 

Inquiring minds want to know.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 9:19am
To put in a 30 amp breaker is not a hazard.  Just be careful with those live wires when installing it!
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

Question for someone who knows more about electrical wiring than I do (which would be just about anyone on this forum <LOL>):

Is it safe to change out a breaker to one with a higher amperage without changing the house wiring to a larger gauge? Without the beefier wiring, wouldn't you have a fire hazard? 

Inquiring minds want to know.

-- Steve

I do basic maintenace on our house's electrical wiring and I would have said and thought the same thing as you Steve.

I would never replace a breaker with one of a larger size for that exact reason. 

The 20 amp existing breaker would be using #12 gauge and sure it can likely handle some pull over the 20amps but could not safely handle in excess or near the 30amp range and would overheat and possibly cause a fire hazard in my opinion.

Also that wouldn't be up to code.

Now if you for some odd reason already have #10gauge wiring on this circuit, which would be doubtful, then and only then should you change a breaker up to one that is 30amp.  For my two cents if you want to run the AC you need to change the wiring to #10 gauge and then and ONLY then should you replace a 20amp breaker with a 30 amp one.

For my own use I'm converting a 60amp welding receptical in my garage and re-running the wires outside to an outlet which I will then replace with a dedicated 30amp for pod use only.
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 9:54am

That is an excellent point, I'm surprised the electricians on here haven't jumped on this already. 

Be careful, it could be dangerous to simply swap breakers. It depends on the gauge wire used in the circuit and the distance the outlet is from the breaker box. Check your local code. When I installed a 30A outdoor outlet for the pod, our code said I could use #10 wire because the run was less than 100'. If it had been longer I would have had to use #8, which I can tell you from previous experience is like trying to bend copper pipe. (The smaller the gauge number, the bigger the wire is. Go figure.)

Most household wiring for 15A or 20A circuits is either #14 or #12. Swapping a 15A breaker in a circuit wired with #14 for a 30A breaker is asking for trouble, IMHO.

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 10:10am
Thanks to everyone for the advice.  After reading all the comments, we will definitely NOT use the air conditioning while at home.  We have a home which is close to 100 years old and assume the wiring in the garage would not handle the draw.
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 12:06pm
A little OT but an example of another bad fuse/breaker idea:

I had a summer job in college working on a deep sea fishing boat that took tourists out into the Gulf of Mexico. One day I opened up the fuse box and saw that some of the circuits had pennies in the sockets instead of fuses. There were also extra pennies lying inside the box (backups, I guess, in case other circuits started blowing fuses). I quit that job shortly thereafter. Looking back (45 years later), I wish I had reported what I saw to the Coast Guard but I was young and stupid and didn't.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
profmagickb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote profmagickb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 4:24am

Sorry for the oversight on this, too focused on Rpod preservation I suppose. This certainly could be bad as well. 
I have good ideas....... sometimes
2011 176T
why don't you come with me little girl, on a magic R-pod ride
podsible dream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podsible dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 9:06pm
Just for information, so y'all can relate to something you know... A 30amp circuit is the same as your electric dryer, or a branch circuit for a garage workshop. A 20 amp circuit is usually reserved for a solo appliance like a refrigerator, washing machine, freezer or room size AC unit or in a garage workshop, so every time the the saw goes on the lights don't blink. A 15 amp circuit is atypical household circuit, for lights, tv's and computers. Can't say I'm a certified electrician, but I apprenticed with one for Habitat for Humanity and I do design laboratories for a living and am familiar with these requirements. With your 30 amp circuit, and a good breaker in it, not a weak one, you should be able to run an AC and a microwave oven, altho starting them up at the very same time would be dicey!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP 171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Durango Crew 5.7l Hemi
unlblkrubi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlblkrubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 3:42pm
I can run frig and air in my TC but the air on the pod trips the breaker.
2011 171
2005 Ford F250 Super Duty diesel
2005 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (trail rig)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic