r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > RpodNation Downtime and Maintenance > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AIR CONDITIONING

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AIR CONDITIONING
    Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 11:08am
Does anyone know if the air conditioning in the Pod can be run on house current?  We have ours parked near the garage. It is connected there.  We would like to let son and grandkids sleep over in it.  We are experiencing high 90s during the day.  Husband says he thinks manual says that it should not be run on house current.
Anyone use theirs that way?  Any advice would be appreciated.
Pepper
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 11:22am
It depends on the circuit you will be using.

We have our pod plugged into a 20 amp circuit in the garage. We can run the pod's lights, water pump, slide-out, fans, etc. but if we turn on the A/C, the circuit breaker pops for that circuit within 10 seconds. It needs a 30 amp circuit.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Sixgunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 1:34pm
Though it's best to have a 30 amp circuit, I've run mine on a 20 amp household circuit before. Won't hurt to try. If it trips your breaker, it's too much.
doctomdds View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctomdds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 1:44pm
At 98 degrees, mine is in the drive running on a 20 amp circuit right now and doing fine (refrigerator running also). I pop the breaker on a 15 amp circuit in about 10 minutes in this heat, or if I have other things drawing power.
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 3:28pm
Works fine at my home while plugged-into shore power.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 3:38pm
We had to install a 30 amp but it works now.  We have used the elec at the house of family in Florida as well as at home.  Do not try to use ANYTHING in the pod while the compressor is running or it will trip the breaker.  Anything other than lights I mean.
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 7:52pm
We used our air and fridge last weekend at a relative's farm on a 20A circuit.  Kept waiting for problems but went 2 nights OK.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
Skooterpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skooterpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 8:20pm
Have run mine 2-3 hours at a time that way with no problem.  Wouldn't try to bake cookies at the same time though.  The supplied 30 amp cord with adapter seems plenty adequate.  Dunno off the top of my head whether it's a 20 or 30 amp breaker. 
2011 RP-177
2010 Honda Ridgeline RTL
Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 8:50pm
Mine pops the breaker. BUT, it doesn't hurt to try, does it?

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
profmagickb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote profmagickb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 9:08pm
I think it does hurt to try, even though it does not pop the breaker. If your compressor trys to pull the amps and cannot it in turn heats up and in the long run will ruin your compressor. Easy fix is to change the breaker to a 30 amp on whatever circuit you choose. Now when its cool outside this is less of a problem, and since the compressor is new it will last a longer time than an older one in this abused state. Can it be done? sure, should it be done?, uh probably not. If you are on a 20 amp it should be OK for a little, I wanna say the compressor will pull slightly more than 20 on startup, then run on less than that (the manual has specifics). A hard start kit (which you've probably heard of and is pretty much a bigger capacitor) helps to prolong the life of your compressor in a low amp starting condition. 

So in short, I would minimize this experiment, and I would not do it unless I needed to. It is a brand new compressor so it probably starts and spins pretty easy and it has a shutoff for high temp. You might be ok. Good Luck
I have good ideas....... sometimes
2011 176T
why don't you come with me little girl, on a magic R-pod ride
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic