r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Reviews and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heat Loss when bunk end down?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retiredtraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heat Loss when bunk end down?
    Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 10:04am
Hello. I'm new to forum. I'm presently an experienced popup camper.

I'm taking a really hard look at Rpods, in particular, the 176T.

I have a somewhat odd question. As you probably know, in a pup, if it's 40 degrees outside, it's 40 degrees inside.  We have an onboard heater, but never run heater overnight.

Has anyone noticed if Rpod models with bunk ends retain heat with the bunk end open. Because there is only one bunk end, and the rest of the unit is hardsided, I thought it might be that the unit stays relatively warm. Or, maybe with the bunk end open, it's like opening a door to the outside.

I'm asking as staying warm is one of the major reasons for looking at a small TT. I realize that the unit can be slept in with the bunk end closed too.

Thanks.

Modifying Post: Thanks for responses so far. To be clear, there are two of us camping.  Most of our camping is in national parks, without hookups, so we will not use heaters for sleeping as we'll only have enough battery power for taking off the morning chill. I refuse to camp with a generator, but have solar panels (that can only do so much).  We're interested in the 176T because the slideout gives more room on the floor.
  Space is a major trade in considering an Rpod. I have a 12 foot pup, with slideout dinette. It has 12 foot of totally unobstructed 'hallway' and is 25 feet long with bunk ends opened. No small trailer gives us that kind of space.
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 11:10am
I know, from talking to owners of the T model, that the bed is cold because of the airbed and open concept.  Some have put heated mattress pad over the mattress.  Is there a reason you are looking at the T model?  We were also popup campers for 25 years.  I wanted to get away from the tent material. Although the T model is more open, you really have no more sleeping space than you would have in the 172, which we have.  I think the mattress extends over the couch in the T model. I sleep in the upper bunk and husband in the lower one. My only wish is that we had gotten one with the slide out.  However, the 176, with the slideout, has very narrow bunks. The Pod is very well insulated.  We use a small cube electric heater, and it has been good for temps down to 40 degrees.  I am sure someone will reply to this post and help you out.  Good luck.
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 11:41am

IF it's just YOU, then  I wouldn't want the a T-model, more to mess with.   A 172 gives you the most enclosed sleeping area, 2 42X74 bunks, plus the 58X74 queen dinette (171 is second).   Several owners use the Top bunk as storage, sleep in the bottom and leave the dinnette up.   The Pod heat works well, but so does a small cermic heater.  I've NEVER been cold in Podterfly, but then I haven't taken her very far North,  but I do remember a post last year where someone got snowed in and he seem to be happy about the r-pod performance.

Do an advance search on "Snow" with "any date" selected, I think it was late fall 2009 or early 2010.   Good luck on your shopping. 

LeeClap

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
retiredtraveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retiredtraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 12:26pm
We can't use heated mattress because we primarily dry camp. That's the reason for asking how well heat is retained in the unit when there is only one bunk end to be opened. I realize the bunk end will be chilly, not sure about rest of unit. As  I said with pup, if it's 40 degrees outside, it's 40 degrees inside. I didn't know if Rpod would retain any heat through the night. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retiredtraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 12:28pm
Thanks for response. I'm only concerned with heat retention. Heater would only be used 1-2 hours a day, at best. A popup, when using heater, stays warm about 20 minutes. I was hoping the Rpod wouldn't lose temperature as quickly. As I modified my original posting, we dry camp so trying to retain heat is a question for considering the rpod.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retiredtraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 12:31pm
The bunks are a big question for us until we spend some time sitting inside an Rpod.  We're both around 60 years old. Just how easy, or difficult, is it to get in/out of bunks. I have visions of falling off, or hitting my head if I were on the bottom.   
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 1:19pm
I would think that the T models will lose heat not as rapidly as a pup but nearly so (like the open door) If you are concerned about moving space you might want to look at the 175 or 177 with the slides. We have a 175 and it retains the heat rather nicely most of the night. We can dry camp with heat using to warm the pod up before bed and in the AM in the fall for a week. Mind that is not using the water heater and using lights sparingly. We do change the propane tank once. There is enough space to get around each other easily although it does get a little crowded when the 100 lb dog is added to the mix and want to be in the middle of everything. LOL
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retiredtraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 1:30pm
Does the dinette convert to a bed on the 175 or 177? 
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 1:45pm
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 2:00pm
There is no dinette on the 175.  The slide-out has a fold out couch.  The rear area is a "short" queen bed.  Rob
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic