r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Jeep TV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
alli-gator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alli-gator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Jeep TV
    Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 1:29pm
For those keeping track, we just got back from our camping weekend in Myrtle Beach. In all fairness, I really loaded up the R pod and Jeep with gear I normally haven't taken with us - probably an additional 300 to 400lbs. I also picked a route that had me towing between 65 and 70 most of the way. I guess I really wanted to see just how bad I could get my gas mileage! After the trip there and back, I averaged just under 12mpg. As far as towing goes - WOW. No issues regarding horsepower or torque. I completely understand everyone who has posted recommending a larger engine and tow capacity.
Bruce and Ramsey
2011 RPod 177 "Alli-Gator Pod"
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L
Bill and Marie in TX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill and Marie in TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 2:34pm

Congrats on the Jeep.  We also just moved from a 2009 Liberty but decided to go with the big truck as we also pull a boat and a trailer for the horses, not to mention hay, feed, and whatever else.  Our new F20 is a monster when it comes to towing (rated for 12.5k#) so the Pod is almost a bit too light.  Also love the 6 speed tranny, lower RPMs=higher MPG.  Happy podding!

2011 RP-181G "Wine Pod II"
2011 F-250 6.2L V8
2 Doxies + 1 tiny Corgi = 1 full size dog

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alli-gator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 10:15am

Congrats on your TV, too. I know what you mean about the mountains - we are planning on heading that way ourselves next month. We really liked the Liberty, I just didn't like having to route our trips to avoid major highways ( too much speed and fuel for the V6) and hills. Now I will feel confident wherever we go. From what I've been reading, my gas economy should be about what the Liberty was anyway. We shall see.

Bruce and Ramsey
iamsmonk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamsmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 10:33pm
Congats on your new tow vehicle.  I too stepped up from the 4.0 V6 of my Ford Ranger to a 4.7 V8 Magnum Dodge Dakota.  Picked it up this evening.  I totally agree the 6 shooters can pull the pods, my Ranger did great.  But I could tell with the moderate hills we've been traveling that I would want a few more ponys under the hood before tackling any thing steeper.  And to get from the Piedmont of North Carolina to the Mountains of NC and Tennessee and Georgia, those extra ponys will really come in handy.
Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Tanner & Jay
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177
www.smonk.net

Let's go camping!
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 9:20pm
     Congradulations on your new Grand Cherokee. They are very nice my brotherinlaw just bought one with the penstar engine. He and my sister are very happy with it.       David and Danette
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alli-gator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 7:06pm

We have been towing our Rpod with our 2008 Jeep Liberty, and it did a "OK" job of it. I've spoken to a lot of people with a Liberty, both on this forum, and other places, and we all have the same opinion - it works, but nobody really recommends it. There just isnt enough "oomph" in the 3.7 V6 engine for anything but a nice flat tow, and thats not why we bought our Rpod.  I wanted to go with a pickup and V8 engine, but I was out-voted by the wife (it's her car when we aren't towing). We also didn't want anything too large for just the two of us, like an Expedition or Tahoe. After months of debate and online research, we finally decided to trade in on a new Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 Hemi V8. We got the tow package and enough gizmos to keep us both happy. We've had it two weeks and 1800 miles (an unplanned emergency trip), and we're very happy with the choice. I've had a chance to tow with it, and what a difference. That big Hemi barely knows the Pod is back there. Now I won't have any issues hitting the mountains or travelling down the interstate. I really haven't had a major tow adventure yet, so I can't comment on the gas, but I'm sure it will be the same as our Liberty. BTW, when we don't tow, the Hemi drops 2 cylinders when not needed, so we are getting the same 22-24 mpg mileage average that we got in the Liberty. Not bad for a heavier vehicle. We will be meeting up with my brother and his family in Myrtle Beach SC this weekend(about 3 1/2 hrs away) so I'll really be able to check it out. There are a lot of great TVs available out there, but if you are thinking about getting a new one, you might want to add this one to your list.

Bruce and Ramsey
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic