r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TRUCK NOT CHARGING BATTERY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibosket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRUCK NOT CHARGING BATTERY
    Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 6:18pm
I have 2010 Toyota Tundra and a 2009 rpod-175.  I've checked fuses on the Tundra and all is well.  I've used a voltmeter to check the 7-pin connector and it reads 12V output.  I check the trailer battery and it reads 12V.  But when I hook up the trailer to the 7-pin, both the battery and the voltmeter in the truck remain at 12V, when I understand both should read 13.8 when charging.  If we're running the fridge on the battery while driving, by the time we get to our destination the battery is down to one light or worse.  What could be causing this?

Thanks!

Curt
Curt / 2009 r-pod 175 / 2010 Toyota Tundra
Brin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 6:22pm
Have you checked the output of the alternator?  It should also read 13.8 to 14.2.  
Terri and Craig and Panzer
R-pod 175, 2009
2000 F250 XLT Extended Cab, Diesel
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 6:35pm
It sounds like you have checked fuses.. but (and I don't know squat about Toyota's) on our Ford, when we installed the actual electrical part of the towing package, which included the brake controller pigtail and two fuses, 1 of those fuses was for the charging system for the trailer connector, and was NOT installed from the factory.. If I had not had the instructions from the factory package, I might not have ever known about that fuse..
ibosket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibosket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 8:37am
No -- how do I go about doing that?

Curt
ibosket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibosket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Brin Brin wrote:

Have you checked the output of the alternator?  It should also read 13.8 to 14.2.  

Curt
kmcmurph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmcmurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 1:30pm
Have you checked for 12V at the 7-pin connector or at the battery? A lot of trucks that are prepped from the factory for towing need a relay installed to energize the 12V at the plug. Fords are bad about this. If there is no power at the plug, go to the dealership and ask about a relay for the towing circuit. They are about $12 and should get you going.
Karl, Kerri and the hounds:: 5.4L '04 Expedition:: 2010 177
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by ibosket ibosket wrote:

Originally posted by Brin Brin wrote:

Curt

The easiest way is to check the battery in the TV. DMM across the +/- and you should have 12. something.. start the truck, and you should have 13.0 + If your truck has under drive pullies, you may need to rev it up to 1500 or so.
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 8:52am
Ever tried putting it on propane instead? It uses far less battery power that way. It will also charge your battery faster since, you're only using a fraction of what it would use with a 12V option.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
pentachris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pentachris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Kenn Kenn wrote:

Ever tried putting it on propane instead? It uses far less battery power that way. It will also charge your battery faster since, you're only using a fraction of what it would use with a 12V option.

I'd rather not drive with the propane on. I think in some places, it's actually illegal to do so (especially when going through tunnels).
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by pentachris pentachris wrote:

I'd rather not drive with the propane on. I think in some places, it's actually illegal to do so (especially when going through tunnels).

I agree. Dangerous when filling up at gas stations, too. I'm always apprehensive when pulling up to pumps if there's another RV there, wondering if they're running propane. If I can, I go to a different pump island further away.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic