r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Miles per gallon towing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thrasharound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Miles per gallon towing
    Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 1:01am
I would like to know what kind of mileage people are getting towing, conditions etc.  We just got back from a 3300 mile trip towing a 172 across the rockies, Sierras  thru the desert, etc.  Our TV is a 2006 Tundra V8.  We got 10 MPG no matter what we did.  Didn't cruise control.

Bob & Maureen
2006 Tundra

Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 7:44am
Originally posted by thrasharound thrasharound wrote:

I would like to know what kind of mileage people are getting towing, conditions etc.  We just got back from a 3300 mile trip towing a 172 across the rockies, Sierras  thru the desert, etc.  Our TV is a 2006 Tundra V8.  We got 10 MPG no matter what we did.  Didn't cruise control.

We've driven in Yellowstone, the Ozarks, and the flats. We can get 11-13 mpg towing a 177 with a 2008 Lexus hybrid SUV *IF* we keep the speed down to 55. Faster than that, and the wind drag takes its toll.  

On our trip to Yellowstone, we ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming because we only have a 17 gallon gas tank, we were driving at 65-70 mph (getting 8 mpg on very flat terrain), and the signs had promised a gas station up ahead which never materialized.

Keep the speed down and you should see a bit of an improvement.

BTW, our TV recommends premium fuel for better performance but can run on regular. When towing, I use 91 Octane (93 Octane when I can find it) and gas mileage improves a couple of miles/gallon. When we get down to FL next month, we have a service station near us that sells 93 Octane non-oxygenated gas (no ethynol). I'm looking forward to testing out a tank of that while towing the pod to see if it makes any difference. I've never done a cost comparison to determine if using the premium to get better gas mileage is cost-effective but since we have such a small gas tank, I'm willing to pay more to get a little more range out of a tank. It wasn't fun running out of gas out where there was nothing around except prairie dogs and tumbleweeds. We were lucky to have cell phone service and that AAA was able to come to our rescue very quickly.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
turncoat3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turncoat3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 8:11am
I tow a 177 with an Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V6. This our second year with the Pod and we always tow with the OD off.  Always manage to get about 11-12 MPG asl low as we stay below 60 MPH.  I am not comfortable above 60 so we stay off the Interstates as much as possible.  We get to see more scenery and can pick the stops we want.  Just my thoughts
Ben & Lorrie
2010 RP177
alli-gator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alli-gator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 1:35pm

I just switched TVs to a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 V8. Towing at interstate speeds (60-75) I average right at 12mpg. I leave the OD on unless I get to a really big hill. I used to tow the Pod with a Jeep Liberty with a 3.7 V6 that I wasn't comfortable on the interstates with, and if I kept it below 60 and it was a flat tow, I could get 14mpg. At highway speeds, the Liberty would only get 7 to 10 mpg.

Bruce and Ramsey
2011 RPod 177 "Alli-Gator Pod"
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L
Tom and Carol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom and Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 5:41pm
We traveled from Florida to Mass, pulling our 177 with our f150, 5.4, and got 12.4 mpg.  Our return trip was via I-81, lots of mountains, od off, and got just about 12.0.  Our last leg from GA to Orlando area got less than 12 with OD on and flat terrain.  I'm always confused about the effect OD has on mpg's, since I would have expected the mpg to increase on that last leg with the lower rpm's using OD.Confused
Tom and Carol
R-Pod 177
2006 F-150
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 8:33pm
We have taken 5 trips thus far with our 2011 pod model 177 w/spoiler.  Plan on heading out to Glacier National Park next month.  Have only been travelling in northern and Upper Peninsula of Michigan so far and have been averaging 12-13 mpg with our '08 Ford Explorer with a 4.0 v-6 with o.d. on unless we are climbing large hills.  We were told the spoiler would improve our mileage by 1-2 mpg.  Am not sure how accurate or trustworthy that statement is as the only way to actually know would be to remove the spoiler, take a trip and then repeat it with the spoiler re-installed and by having the same weather conditions, wind, temp. 

I like the idea of trying a higher octane fuel to see if that will improve mileage.  Next trip is scheduled in a couple weeks, will try that and report if we see an improvement.

2011 model 177
2008 Ford Explorer 4.0
God's Pod

'11 model 177

'13 Ford Explorer

Jim & Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
tedbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 10:02pm
The first time I tried to tow my 171 with my 6-cyl Saturn VUE on the interstate, it was all it could do to get up to speed, and I could literally (no joke) watch the needle on the gas guage going down as cars and semis rode my butt and went around me.

Ever since then, I stay on the highways and keep it at 60 MPH, and even then I need to stop for gas every few hours.  It's not exactly aerodynamic, and while some vehicles can pull an r-pod at 70-75 I have to think that their MPG must really suck.  I'd rather take an extra few days to get there and back and enjoy the slower, more interesting journey on the old highways, which are more scenic and have plenty of places to stop along the way for gas, food, or whatever.

I do use 91-octane and get better power and mileage as a result.
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 11:44pm

I am towing a 171 with a 6-cylinder Ford Edge and I get 10 to 14 miles per gallon. It depends on whether I load up my pod and TV with a lot of stuff or not. I get less gas mileage when I use the cargo carrier on top of my TV; it really causes drag, carry my bicycles, or my generator, which I don’t on long trips. I have also found that I get better gas mileage when I put a bottle of STP gas treatment in my tank on every other fill up. I usually buy a couple of 3-packs to carry with me on a long trip. My TV does well towing on the interstate or over mountain passes; the Ford Edge has a 3.8L engine and it tows my 171 very well.

Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 10:25am
Originally posted by tedbear tedbear wrote:

Ever since then, I stay on the highways and keep it at 60 MPH, and even then I need to stop for gas every few hours.  It's not exactly aerodynamic, and while some vehicles can pull an r-pod at 70-75 I have to think that their MPG must really suck.  I'd rather take an extra few days to get there and back and enjoy the slower, more interesting journey on the old highways, which are more scenic and have plenty of places to stop along the way for gas, food, or whatever.

I do use 91-octane and get better power and mileage as a result.
I agree with you that slower is better and much more relaxing and enjoyable. Towing faster does make it unsafe and use more gas.

When we use higher octane gas, we get about 1-2 MPG more. So, depending on the cheap to expensive spread, is how we choose the gas octane. Also, using E-85 (although cheaper) really decreases the towing mileage.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 12:27pm
Kenn,  While no E85 is available in our area, we will be travelling out to WA next summer to visit family.  I didn't have to use E85 on the last trip, but I was wondering if you notice "performance" decrease in addition to a gas mileage decrease?  Rob
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic