r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Miles per gallon towing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 8:58am
Originally posted by thrasharound thrasharound wrote:

I personally think cruise control uses more fuel

I seem to be seeing the same thing. I never used cruise in hilly terrain, but now I hardly ever use it at all when towing the pod.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Larry Larry wrote:

Should you use over-drive when towing? 

In our case, since we're all pulling the same trailer, I think it depends very much on your tow vehicle. I have a "tow mode" button that I use when the OD starts to kick out a lot. According to the owner's manual the pod doesn't weigh enough for me to use tow mode, but I do anyway. 

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpierce220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 11:09am
With my Outlander the lowest I got was about 10 mpg when driving in a headwind.  Normally, though, I've been seeing anywhere from 12-14 mpg.  Thankfully most of the driving is pretty flat, so it does fine.  It can struggle going up some steep hills--there are a few in northern Illinois--so I just keep it as steady as possible to keep the strain off the transmission.

Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
HerbL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HerbL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 12:49pm
We just finished a 600 mile trip from Connecticut to Maine and back. We averaged about 11.8 mpg (this includes some driving around without the Pod). I am beginning to think that the newer Pods with the spoiler do get higher mpg. I hope some of those in Canada, who have had the spoiler added through the recall will report on any mpg increases they experience.
We generally drive at about 60 mph and leave the transmission in 6th gear, unless we run into steep hills/mountains.
We have been very pleased with our new Silverado for towing. If needed, we can accelerate up hills or keep up with fast moving traffic in congested areas.
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 2:35pm
I just returned from a 1,000 mile trip towing with a full sized Chevy pickup with 6 speed auto trans and 'tow haul' option.  I wasn't convinced about using the tow-haul until this trip.  There were a lot of small hills and valleys to cross.  The tow-haul cut shifting up & down considerably and when using cruise control, the TV would downshift automatically to keep downhill speed constant.  I never had to worry about using the brakes to keep from over-speeding down the hills. Even on the flats...if I came to a sudden slow speed limit sign...a quick tap on the brakes downshifted to slow the vehicle without over-revving the engine.  The engine/transmission is large enough that it never felt like it was over-working will in tow-haul.
At one point I forgot to set the tow-haul and my mpg went down by about 1/2 mpg from 12 to 11 1/2 mpg.
I would like to mention that I encountered 'real-non-ethanol'/10% ethanol/85% ethanol fuel on the trip (my Chevy has a 'flex-fuel' engine).  My mileage jumped up about 1.5 to 2 mpg using the non-ethanol and dropped to about 10 mpg using the 85%.  The prices were so varied from state to state...that there was no real savings at the 85% pump. My Chevy booklet and dealer convinced me not to waste money using higher octane fuel...with a new vehicle, knocking is a thing of the past.  The real difference in mileage is the amount of available energy per gallon and 85% ethanol is really low compared to 10% or non-ethanol!
tsunami
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic