r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water Heater reset??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podsuperior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Heater reset??
    Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 5:15pm
Hello all -

Trying to get the hang of our new 2012 177.  Today I fired up the water heater for the first time.  The dealer basically told me just turn the power switch in the cabin on and it turns on - nothing else to do.

I have fresh water in my tank - I turn the water pump on and run the "hot taps" on the kitchen sink and the bathroom, bleeding any air out and allowing water to run from the tap - it was my understanding that there is now water in the water heater tank if the "hot water tap"is producing water??

I turn the cabin switch to on - I hear the propane burner kick on - I came back in about 30 mn later and I had some warm water, when the water pump kicked on I would get surges of hot water and then cold water.

I then noticed the red reset light was on.  I turned everything off for awhile, turned it all back on, the light was out now, but 10 seconds later I heard a loud click from the water heater and the reset light came back on??

I read various posts about different bypass valves, and the concern of burning out your tank??  And of course the manual is worthless??

I do see the switch for electric in the panel of the water heater - there is a little pin thru the switch so it can not be switched to the "on" position??

Any tips for me??

Thanks
Rpod 177 Honda Pilot 2007
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 5:50pm
WWRon,2012 RP177 HRE "Eye Pod",2010 Ford F-150 4x4
9/11 Never Forget.
NRA Life Member, Amsoil dealer www.lubedealer.com/wallawallaron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 5:51pm
Phil
You are correct.  The 110 V switch does not have to be on and as a matter of fact you don't even have to have 110 V power to the pod for the water heater to operate on propane.  The DC power has to be available for the controls and igniter to work but not the 110 V power.  Hope that helps answer you concerns.

Pawpod
Thank you for posting the video links and taking the time to record the walk through.  It is nice to review the walk through every once in a while.  Especially for us old timers that might have a tendency to forget a few of the details.  I reviewed all of your videos and you did a nice job on them.
Thanks again for making this contribution to the R Pod Nation.

Do not have my 177 yet but this is from the video post RE 177 
9/11 Never Forget.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 5:55pm
Try bleeding some more gas thru the lines.  Light your stove and let it run for a couple of minuets.  Then re try you water htr. again sometimes air in the line will not feed gas to burner.
9/11 Never Forget.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 6:01pm
My Pod's stove burners are at the end of the propane line(s). So after setting up the Pod, I run the stove burners to make sure that propane has filled all of the lines. My water heater and furnace always then start without any problem. 

WWR
9/11 Never Forget.
podsuperior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podsuperior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 6:04pm
I am able to get the water heater to fire up no problem - I am just not getting much hot water, and the reset is tripping.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 6:20pm
Podsuperior,

Type in "water heater" in the search feature top of forum...Read thru the posts I think it might have something to do with the way your valves on the lines are turned.

WWR
9/11 Never Forget.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 6:27pm
I think it's fairly certain that the problem with your water heater lies either with bypass valve position or electrical connection. The first thing I'd suspect is valve position. Since the 170 floorplan is similar to my 177, I would presume the valves to be under a plywood panel beneath the bed or the dinette seat on the same side as the sink. There's a very informative thread you can find at: http://www.rpodnation.com/water-heater-questions_topic153_page1.html. Page two includes... 
9/11 Never Forget.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by podsible dream

Wewokus, check Butterfly Lee's post on how to post pictures in Miscellaneous, Off Topic section. 
The HWH needs the two top and bottom valves turned parallel to the tubing and the center one turned perpendicular. Check the propane tank is turned on. For electric heating, turn on the switch in the exterior compartment. It is a rocker switch that hides behind the gas feed at the lower part of the front of the tank. There is also a switch on the front of the sink cabinet that needs to be on for electric heating. Make sure the tank is full by running the sink or shower until the flow is smooth to ensure the tank is full. If this doesn't get you hot water, you will need expert help

I believe the switch inside below the sink is for heating with LP gas. Also, for a visual of how the valves need to be for water to run through the water heater (i.e. not bypassed) check out the sixth picture down in this thread:
Marwayne added the door for easier access. Yours will probably be accessed by opening the top panel - may have screws, depending on your model.

From what I understand, the water heater can run on electric, gas, or both simultaneously. It's a small tank, so running them both at the same time increases the recovery rate. (That's hot water faster). We've been able to take two showers one after the other without having to worry about it getting cold. That's a nice feature. Make sure the LP is on at the tank, and you might want to run a little through the stove until you can get it to light first, just to make sure the lines aren't dry.

One last thing - you want to be sure before you turn on the electric element of the water heater that the valves are open (i.e. not bypassed) and run the hot water at the sink until you get water coming out. I hear you could damage the heating element if you run it dry.
9/11 Never Forget.
podsuperior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podsuperior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 9:36pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic