r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > R-Pod Round-Ups
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1st Annual Labor Day Mini Meet - Weston, MO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctomdds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st Annual Labor Day Mini Meet - Weston, MO
    Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 7:57pm
Weston Bend State Park, just north of Kansas City, was the location of the 1st Annual Labor Day Mini Meet of the Central Midwest with 5 R-pods attending. And I know Tina and I had a great time.

Hawkpod (Beth and Tim), DocTom (Tina and Tom), Moose (Terri and Grant) , PowerLift (Linda, Mike, Colette and Brendt), and Dori and Todd were present.

Friday was 101* and humid, but Monday morning was around 50* and just perfect weather, rain on Saturday (minimal) helped bring down the temps and humidity. The campground at Weston Bend is great, heavily treed with good space between units. It is a beautiful place for camping, hiking, biking, shopping, eating, and making new friends.

I don't think anyone had seen this many R-pods together (other than at a dealership). Forest River should give us comissions for the number of questions answered and tours given! The camp host wondered if we were a club, some stopped and wondered if r-pods were new "rental" units, but everyone was interested in why we were all there and the strange and interesting trailers we had. R-pods and r-podders received thumbs up from everyone I talked to.

Many of the area attractions were visited, from O'Mally's Irish Restaurant and Pub, and other stores and restaurants in the Town of Weston, to the Irish Fest at Kansas City's Crown Center, to meditation with Tibetian Buddhist Monks on the Country Club Plaza, to the Renaissance Festival in Bonner Springs, Kansas.

A very friendly and some what rowdy crew needed to be reminded by the campground host that quiet time was observed from 10 pm to 6 am. All I can say is that Tina and I had a wonderful time meeting everyone, what a nice group of people have R-pods! We are looking forward to doing this again next Labor Day . . . it would really be fun if we could fill the park with R-pods. Hope even more can come next year.

Tina and Tom
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 10:30pm
Wonderful that you got to have a mini rally.  Coach and I are going to a mini rally at Maumee State Park in Ohio on Thursday.  Where two Pods gather, it is a rally. Big smile
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
doctomdds View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctomdds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 8:52am
Have fun . . . r-podders are a very congenial group. It is so nice to visit, and would be nice to travel to meet-ups at a further distance also. "Where two Pods gather" ... almost scriptural, lol, and true too!

Tom
Poddie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 1:34pm
Oh, never camped at Weston, although we've camped with our R-Pod at Smithville Lake and Watkins Mill several times.  Didn't even know there was a campground at Weston!
I'd rather be Podding. :)
doctomdds View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctomdds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 1:59pm
We were at Watkins Mill over Easter weekend. The campground at Weston Bend is heavily tree'd like Watkins, but there are only 30 something sites total. There isn't as much to do in the park (except hiking) but the proximity to the town makes it a fun place to get together. We will be staying there in a couple of weeks for the Weston Bluegrass Festival, and then again in May for the Audubon Society's "Wings over Weston". We go to Smithville quite often also, as we live on the North side of KC. Sometimes we camp, sometimes we just go up to ride bikes.

We'll be back at Weston for Labor Day 2012. Hope we can meet up sometime.
Poddie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 2:43pm
We *almost* camped at Watkins over Easter, too, but had to bail out at the last minute.  We've never seen other r-pods while camping, so we would definitely have noticed you.  :D  The trees, along with the bike path around the lake, are what draw us to Watkins.  Great place to camp, and we love to bike.  Smithville doesn't have the trees, but the bike path is nice and long!  And it features a much smoother to ride than the Katy Trail.  :) 
Hope to see you all sometime too.  That would be fun.  We've never met other r-podders, but the first time we camped at Smithville, boy did we draw the stares.  (R-pods were brand new then.)  We are planning trips to Pomme de Terre and Truman this summer, not to mention our favorite spot, Watkins.  We also typically go to the Branson area once or twice a year, as we have a teenager who loves the roller coasters at SDC, but decided to skip this year.
I'd rather be Podding. :)
doctomdds View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctomdds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 6:24pm
I know there are at least two other R-pods in town, as they are stored where I store mine, at inner space storage on 291 in eastern Independence, and another podding family resides near Lawson, just north of Watkins. I live in KC, near Liberty, just about 20 minutes from Watkins, and 15 from Smithville, very handy. We camp locally spring and fall, usually go to Colorado in the summer, and at least once on the KATY in the fall (usually at Katfish Katy's in Huntsdale).
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 4:50am
Did you ever stay at Katy Roundhouse in Franklin? We've been there and prefer it over Katfish Katy. (Son lives in Rocheport.)
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
doctomdds View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctomdds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 8:37am
Never stayed in Franklin, but now it is on our list to try! Thanks!
Vallgrlx2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vallgrlx2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 11:19am
Just purchased an 177, and live in Omaha.  Will be taking our Maiden Journey this coming Friday at MahoneynState Park.  
Please let us know the upcoming info on Labor Day 2012, would like to join you

2012 Toyota Highlander
2012 RPod 177
2012 Toyota Highlander
2012 R177 RPod
Two Scotties

OurPod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic