r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

US-ROD RECALL!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 12:02pm
Hi there HuronSailor,
I forwarded this to Susan and then went over to her office to try and figure out what was happening.
I THINK we figured it out and she'll be calling you soon - if she hasn't already.
It appears that the selling dealer might have misunderstood that they weren't supposed to order the recall kit UNTIL the retail customers came in and made appointments.  However, they were being proactive and ordered the recall kits for every rpod they'd retailed.  It shipped out to them on August 23rd.  That's why when you called them - they said they had your kit in stock.  So, I'm so very sorry that it caused you so much frustration and inconvenience.  At least it was for all the "right" reasons, becasue they wanted to be prepared for when you did contact them.

GENERALLY - dealers do NOT have them "in stock" for just any owner that comes in to make an appointment.  Recall kits are only allowed to be ordered for specific VIN's, and registered owners, which they did provide our parts department with, hence the reason we shipped it out to them.   That is after all how we track the recall and how we were able to find yours.  

So, yes, the dealer that originally sold you your rpod DID order a recall kit for you and your specific VIN and I'm confident that your appointment set for 10/5 with that dealer will be a successful one!
AND - I'd like to say THANK YOU to Karin and the crew at McDowell's for being a "stand up" dealership and standing behind their retail customers, even though they're no longer a stocking dealer.  That's a big sign that - you're in good hands with them!  
(Neither of the dealers you were dealing with are current rpod dealers - there are other dealers in that vicinity however that are.)

You're 100% correct - we can't control everything our dealers do.  However, we CAN do our very best to step in and alleviate issues that arise for our owners.   Too many times during this recall period, I've had owners contact me stating that their selling dealer was less than amicable in regards to doing the recall work, because we'd pulled the product from their dealership.  And that's why I'm still monitoring this here - to get these issues to Susan as quickly as possible and get our owners taken care of. 

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you! 
~Kristin
Kristin Griffin
RSM Central
Forest River Inc.
kmcmurph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmcmurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 1:09am
Got the Paw Pod back from the dealer Saturday. I think they did a nice job with the spoiler. They had the part for awhile, I just didn't have the time to get it to them (they're 1 hr away from me). Took it up on Wednesday last week, got the spoiler (I had already done the fenders myslef), got the wheel bearings serviced and my propane topped off. Now we're all ready for our next big trip next month to Collinsville(sp?), IL for a dog show! Thanks 54 Auto and RV (Andover, KS)!

Karl, Kerri and the hounds:: 5.4L '04 Expedition:: 2010 177
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 2:07pm
Looks good. Nice clean install. 
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
jasanders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Kristin Kristin wrote:

Hi All!!
I've been following this as closely as possible and I forwarded Susan one of the notifications I rec'd about a post in regards to the marker lights.
She just sent me the attached photo and asked that I post it for everyone.  She said this is one of the pictures that she supplies to the dealers with the instructions on how to install the marker lights. 
I have to be honest - I haven't been able to follow every single post, so this may or may not be helpful.  The email I forwarded her was in regards to "protecting the socket" by jasanders replied to and quoted by ratdog (Steve) on September 16th. - nd this photo is in regards to that.  Please let me know if there's something else we can provide that may be more helpful!! 
~Kristin

Yep, dealer is still waiting for part from FR. I think I'm better off just replacing the lights myself with something available locally because eventuallly I'll have to replace all four and I want them to match. I would have to wait weeks for FR each time a light broke and then have the same poorly designed light. I'd never be done with it.
RP-151
Kamaka ukelele
97 Chev Silverado Shortbox
Kristin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 1:12pm
jasanders... will you please email me the last 4 of your VIN so that I can have our Service/Parts dept check on the status of your replacement lights? Very often, I'm finding that there never has been an order placed for a retail customer, when a dealer claims (to that retail owner) that there has been.  These lights are something we keep tons of in stock. And our parts department ships out HUNDREDS of parcels a day. This would be a very simple and quick order to fill, so it makes no sense to me why it hasn't been. 
Also in that email, can you provide me the dealers name you're working with? That way we can cross reference, just incase they didn't reference your VIN for the parts order.
My email address is: kgriffin@forestriverinc.com 

Thank you! 
~Kristin
Kristin Griffin
RSM Central
Forest River Inc.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 7:27am
Recall work was completed Friday at the dealer I bought my Pod from. The workmanship looks great, no visible fasteners on the rear spoiler except 3 on each end. It was not the first retrofit they'd done, so I arrived at 9:00 and was done by lunch. 

-Edit- Dealer called Monday to ask if I could take some pictures of the work so they could get paid. It took all my willpower not to tell them I was really swamped but I'd try to work them in. 
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 6:52pm
I agree that the 'stem' part of the fender lights that extend into the wheel well is vulnerable to a debris strike.  My 'recall' dealer made it a point to show me how the stem extends unprotected into the wheel well.  Also, the bare-ended fender wires are first sprayed with a thin protectant and then inserted into the fender stem socket.  I applied a large glob of Marine Goop (tm) onto the stem to help protect it.  I suspect that I will be replacing all of four of the fender lights with LED-types next camping season.  
tsunami
GregA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 10:47pm
 Had my recall lights installed last month by my dealer.
I didn't think I was going to like how they would look when I first became aware of the recall, but now that they are installed I have to say that I am impressed with the design and the resulting new look of our little trailer. Very tasteful in my opinion!
 Thank you Forest River for eventually doing the right thing, and to my dealer - Poulsbo RV in Everett, Washington (the state!)
Tow; 2001 Toyota Tundra ext'd cab,V-8, 4x4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 10:19am
Has anyone installed guards on their new fender running lights? If so, where did you get them?
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 10:37am
Originally posted by HuronSailor HuronSailor wrote:

Has anyone installed guards on their new fender running lights? If so, where did you get them?

I gave some thought to cutting some 1" hollow square aluminum bar stock a little longer than the distance between the light's mounting screws. Drilling a hole in the center of the bar larger than the back of the light that sticks through the fender would allow me to place the bar over the back of the light and then I would secure the bar using the existing screws that attach light to the fender.

However, I came to my senses and decided to do nothing until a lamp breaks. If/when that that ever happens, I'll just replace the lamp with these (which is what FR should have used to begin with):

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
  Share Topic