r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

US-ROD RECALL!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 8:58pm
Comments posted...Maybe twice...

LeeStar
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 9:12pm
Why do people seem to result to lawsuits for everything? Would it really make a difference if those markers are there or not? Would the person behind the POD run into it because there are no markers? Would the person behind aim at where the markers should be?

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
kmcmurph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmcmurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 1:22am
I also posted a comment urging for the NHTSA to order a recall. I went to the RV show 2 weekends ago at Hershey, PA and saw the spoiler. It does what it needs to but looked VERY cheaply made. So I was surprised when I called FR and asked about purchasing one, $200 plus shipping! I will wait. If no recall is issued, I will install my own marker lights on the back, I already did the fenders.
Karl, Kerri and the hounds:: 5.4L '04 Expedition:: 2010 177
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 10:59pm
I looked at my neighbor's TT (not an R-Pod) this afternoon.  He has the required triple overhead rear lights.  There are also two individual lights at the same level as the triple light but set as far in the corners as possible.  My other next door neighbor's trailer also has the same 5 light set up.  It appears that the R-Pod's, with the required lights, just have the center triple lights on the spoiler.
Are the outer corner lights also required by NHTSA requirements?
tsunami
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 11:28pm
Putting the lights in the "corners" of the bars would not meet the NHTSA requirements as its supposed to be on widest point of trailer.  Which is why the retrofit puts yellow(orange?) and red lights on the fenders as they are the widest point of trailer.
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 11:03am
I have had people pass me on a four-lane highway and nearly lost the left-hand mirror.  You really need to go out some dark-rainy night and look at the trailer with its lights on.  You can't see the fenders at all.  I would rather have the fender lights than to have someone clip me.  No telling about the consequences.  Similar arguments about the expense of having to put on seat belts or airbags.
At least, fast moving motorcyclists who refuse to wear helmets don't cause an increase in health insurance to the rest of us.
tsunami
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 3:50pm
Good news for owners of older R-Pods. 

NHTSA has denied Forest Rivers  petition to have  lighting declared inconsequential .

See this document for the story.
http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=NHTSA-2011-0040-038

Forest River must now notify the owners and remedy the lighting situation.  Sometimes the government does the right thing.  Again, thanks go to all the folks that took the time to write to the NHTSA and voice their objections to FR's petition.  NHTSA made note of the fact that several people submitted comments and that all of the comments disagreed with Forest Rivers stance.

Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 7:11pm
It only took 2 years, untold number of hours on the phone, and I swear I know every NHTSA inspector/engineer by name now. :-)  I think the real issue actually started 3 years ago, but when I filed my complain 2 years ago NHTSA said they hadn't heard anything about it.

If you trailer doesn't have the lights, make sure to contact your dealer to make sure they get you put on the list.   Hard to say "when" FR will actually send out the notices but they do have a kit available for the Canada recall, and is same kit for US.   So they should be able to start putting them on pretty soon.   The kits actually look pretty good, and factory original once they are installed.   With my only complaint being the wire that goes over the channel for the tent canopy.  Keeps skirt from going on, so had to notch the track to make it work...which is something dealer wouldn't do.

I am glad the NHTSA finally is making FR do the right thing.    The NHTSA document is a good read, as it fairly bluntly points out how stupid FR arguments where for not having the lights.   As the document states.   "Forest River did not equip the subject trailers with identification or clearance lamps, all of which have been required on wide trailers since January 1, 1969."   Which to me points to the absurd nature of the whole problem.   A trailer manufacturer, should be aware of the safety requirements for trailers.   There is no excuse for the ignorance of the safety issue when the regulation has been in place since 1969.

furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 9:14am
Thank you to all involved in pushing them about this..

Need to drive right by my dealer today.. "print genie activate!"

Now Goose can quit picking on me about my slideout cover.. Wink
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 11:44am
Originally posted by furpod furpod wrote:

Need to drive right by my dealer today.. "print genie activate!"

Hey Furpod, if you do happen to talk to "our" dealer here in the next few days let me know what they say if anything yet.  I was planning on calling them in a few weeks to see if they wanted to make appointments for us or what.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
  Share Topic