r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Reviews and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wet bath issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elidh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wet bath issues
    Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 1:35pm
We are still shopping around, comparing various lightweight travel trailers.  I keep coming back to the R-Pod - I like it's looks , quality and (not least) the strong community of Pod owners.  The thing that I keep getting hung up on, though, is the wet bath concept.  I like to bathe every night (sorry - TMI LOL) and want to use our own bathroom, not a public facility.   A salesman said to me the other day "If you think a feature on an RV is going to bother you even before you buy it,  it probably will after you've bought it."  What I want to know i:  for those of you who routinely use the R-Pod shower for bathing - does the wet bath gross you out?  Did anyone think they were going to hate it and they found out that it wasn't a big problem after all?  Do I need a shrink? LOLLOL 
Possible Future Owner of The Road King Family Podster
psaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 2:08pm
I thought it was a little weird at first, because all the other trailers I had ever seen were big and had toilets and showers separate.  But after using it the first time, all  issues went away. Actually my biggest concern was using the toilet sometime after a shower and having to sit on a wet seat, but it is always dry by the time I get up in the middle of the night. Plus, the shower curtail can also be dragged in front of the toilet to keep it dry while showering if wanted. My .02. BTW, we shower every night also and love not having to use the public facilities.  I can't say that you will get used to it; just remember, it's YOUR facilty and not a public one.
2011 RP177 "Sponge Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
P2 Brake Controller
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 2:40pm
We don't "routinely" use it, but both have used it several times. It's small.

The fact that it is a "wet bath" doesn't matter at all (unless you lift the lid and stand in the bowl), otherwise it's a shower with a seat.. a fancy "upgrade" in new homes..

The size is the only thing involved, and all showers in small trailers are... small. My biggest problem, and the problem for many I am sure, is, at a bit over six feet tall and 200lbs.. it's small.

Did I mention that, in small, cute, efficient  trailers the showers are small??? I spend no more than a few minutes a day in there.. so I can live with it. And I have been places where there was NO SHOWER of any kind for weeks, sometimes months, at a time. My wife would tell you there have been times after a deployment when I would shower several times a day, just because I could.

As a side note, our Airstream has a not quite "wet bath" arrangement.. but I think I am going to change it TO a full wet bath.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 2:54pm

Since buying our pod in Dec 2010, I have used the bath a good bit to shower.  My wife said she would rather use the bath house where ever we camped.  This past August while at Edisto Island, SC, with temps in the low 100's and humidity just below "swamp" we found the beautiful bath house there was NOT air conditioned.  I had fixed an extender rod for the shower, so Trisha gave it a try and loved it!!  She has an artifical hip, and she enjoys being able to sit down to shower.

To echo furpod, it is small.  If you drop the soap while you are in there, oh boy, are you in for an adventure. HAHA.  

Plus, I really  like using "my shower,"  but then I'm strange like that.  Rob
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

Elidh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elidh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 3:02pm
Thanks furpod, psaman and Rob for putting perspective on it.  I don't spend a long time showering anyway, and I never thought how convenient it might be having a built-in seat!!  My husband and I are Army retirees and spent time in the field a bit, so a private shower, even wet, would be a luxury! 
Possible Future Owner of The Road King Family Podster
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 3:41pm
Just remember too, if you have to doo doo in the middle of your shower, you could do that in a wet bath. You could also shave easier with a "seat" in the shower. We used ours everytime we took "the bank's" RPOD. If you're really that worried about it, look at light weights with separate shower and toilet instead.

Whatever you decide on, have fun with it!

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 7:33pm

The biggest drawback for me is that it is small, but I leave the bathroom door open when I shower and pull the curtain all the way around and with a plastic tie attach it to the wall where the shower knobs are located. This allows me to flex my elbows while showering and not get any water outside of the bathroom. I use my wet bath a lot and over time have added things to it, like the plastic ties on the curtain, to make it more comfortable for me. If I had one wish I would want the water spray to have more force like my shower at home. But hey, I’m out there camping and the r-pod’s wet bath is very convenient.

I had a popup tent trailer before buying the r-pod and it did not have a shower or wet bath inside, but I did have and outside shower and shower tent, which I still have and may use sometime, weather permitting, with my r-pod. The outside shower and shower tent are and option which I like having, and if I want I can shower with the outside shower in the r-dome.

kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 8:04am
Since we bought our Pod we have not used a bathhouse at any campground at all.  We both shower once a day and are much happier using our own toilet that isn't surrounded by dead bugs and spiders and other unmentionable things that "sometimes" appear in camp bathhouses.

Love our wetbath.
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 8:34am
Elidh:

When we first started out camping (tent backpacking) we just would use the lake or stream and heat up some water for sponge baths. Then we had a slide in camper for the truck with a wet bath(lot smaller then the R.pod). Had a 5th wheel with a bathroom and shower, used to have a solar shower bag for tent camping and motorcycle camping and now wet bathroom again.  Knowing that you have a clean place to wash off is a big plus over the mess you can find in public shower rooms.  Even the shower bag was better then campground showers.  Small space less to clean and feels oh so good. Most get used to small size some do not.  Like others have said try some out for size at the dealers.
Best of luck in your shopping.
WWR
WWRon,2012 RP177 HRE "Eye Pod",2010 Ford F-150 4x4
9/11 Never Forget.
NRA Life Member, Amsoil dealer www.lubedealer.com/wallawallaron
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpierce220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 9:12am
Like everyone else here, get yourself in the shower and get a sense of how you feel in it.  The spouse was really nervous about using the shower, but we are both fans of it.  We have not taken a shower in a public shower house this year.

The other nice thing about the shower is that you can multitask if necessary.  LOL
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic