r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Reviews and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R Dome Cost

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtran868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R Dome Cost
    Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 1:37pm
How much does an R Dome cost? Is it worth it? How does it do in the winds and rain? does the floor get wet if it rains?
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 2:03pm

I purchased my r-dome with my r-pod back in January 2010 and it added $400.00 to my overall price but that was in January 2010 and I don’t know what the price is today.

I really like the r-dome, have had it up in 40-mph winds and it withstood the test. It depends on how securely you have it grounded, pegged all the way around, draw lines securely in place, and the dome properly attached to the pod. It does not hurt to also find some good size rocks to put around the bottom of the skirt.

It does not leak at all, at least mine does not, and I've had it up in heavy rains. What I like most of all is the privacy it gives you when you have all of the flaps down. You can walk around completely naked in there and no one would know. It is also neat at night with the amber outside pod light on the inside of the r-dome has a very nice ambiance.

The biggest hassle for most campers is putting the thing up but once you have done it a few times it is a breeze. Just spray the tracks with some silicone lubricant and it slides easily into place. It provides a nice shade where there are no trees and in my opinion is better than just having and awning. The r-dome is and awning, a screen room, and an additional living space when camping in your r-pod.

I put down a large area rug when I setup my r-dome and have and extra small refrigerator plugged-in on the outside of the pod in the r-dome. I also like the security of storing a food chest and other less valuable things in the r-dome, and you can zip it up and put the flaps down if you decide to leave your camping site for a short period of time. I like it a lot and for me it was worth the purchase.

furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 2:09pm
The ground can get wet if water runs under it.. but ours has seen a couple good rains and remained leak free.

Ours came with the camper, a $400 option.

I have seen them on the classifieds from about $300, down to free. There *may* be a difference/change depending on when your Pod was actually built, something to keep in mind if buying one other than with your Pod.

Last time we camped, all our women had to work late, so myself and another guy took our campers up early, and set up our camp. By the time everybody else got there, the fire was going and dinner was prepped.

I put the dome up myself, my buddy swears it was about 5 minutes, I think closer to 8.. lol. One thing for sure, the stakes that come with it are trash. We bought 10" spikes and use those. They do a better job of reaching the ground if on an un-level site, they hold better all around, and you can drive them into gravel if needed.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Sixgunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 3:26pm
We have two very informational videos that show how to set up the R-Dome and are illustrative of it's construction. One of these will help answer your questions:

Sandpiper & Tink: http://vimeo.com/15714034

SeaYakDriver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9UnSouVUpU&feature=player_embedded
feo fuerte y formal
Vallgrlx2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vallgrlx2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 10:42am
Interested in purchasing an RDome. Where do you find one?

Thank you

The Conways and two Scotties

2012 Toyota Highlander
2012 R177 RPod
Two Scotties

OurPod
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 5:02pm
Try eBay, or the classifieds here and at the owners forum. 
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 6:20pm
Anyone ever heard if anyone has contacted Dometic direcly and asked them about buying them? 

Forest River still sells them at $400 I last heard.
The Principal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Principal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 11:15am
We love our dome. Doubles size of camper space. Great to sit out under it in the rain. Great area to cook in. We do not cook in the camper.
There is some condensation at times. Lot easier and faster to set up than a tent.
Ram 1500
RP176
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic