r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Owners Registry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We just bought our 171

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Faust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We just bought our 171
    Posted: 07 Mar 2009 at 7:23am
Thumbs Up We have been camping for 25 years with our Coleman Columbia pop up camper.  It only weighed 843 lbs and we pulled it, 4 kids and a dog with a 4 cyl. car.  Many wonderful adventures.  Now we are empty nesters with a 90 lb. yellow lab, Gracie, and were looking for something easier to set up.  We decided to get the 171 because we love the huge bed and dinette.  We were in a 174 and considered the 175 but in the end we were concerned the pull out will not be able to handle our Wisconsin winters and break.  I think it might be a heat loss as well.  I really did like the extra space the pull out provided though.  We like early spring and fall camping so the furnace will be nice.  We passed on the TV and the microwave and saved a little.  I just ordered the screen room because I seem to attract masquitos  Ouch !!!  Today we get the hitch on the new RAV4 (the caravan had 130,000 miles on it).  I hope the new car with a 6 cyl and AWD will work well with the R pod.  The adventure will begin on March 28th when we pick up "Rpoda" with the "Rava" LOL  Linda
RPod 171 Rav 4
Happy Camping, Ted, Linda & our labradorable Gracie
ff404mag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ff404mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2009 at 2:30pm
Did you pick it up today ? Post some pics .

Mario
Linda Faust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Faust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009 at 4:15am
We picked up R-Poda on Saturday as planned.  Country Campers was really nice to work with.  They went through everything with us including putting up the awning.  Eric worked through his lunch to weld the sway bar onto our car.  In the Fall he will teach my husband how to winterize the trailer.  The Rav 4 pulled fine but our gas milage dropped to 8 to 9 miles per gallon at 60 to 65 mph.  It is a v6 with the tow package so we can pull 3500 lbs.  Maybe we need to stick to 55 mph.  How fast do all of you drive?  Do you use cruise control?  We went straight home because they were predicting a major snow and ice storm.  This morning we have at least a half foot of heavy snow out there.  The walkie-talkies were helpfull backing up.  I started packing it with gear and it has a lot of room.  The refrigerator is huge compared to a cooler.  They had a cutting board with adjustable rubber feet that fits over the sink.  That will add some extra counter space.  The shelf where the micro would have gone is ginormous!  The bed is huge and I added a 2 inch memory foam mattress topper.  I had hoped to add suction hooks but all the walls are textured.  I am thinking about a tension rod in the bathroom for hanging some clothes and a mirror would be nice.  Ours has the cherry wood cabinates and really looks nice.  We can't wait for the snow to melt and go camping!  Linda and Ted        
RPod 171 Rav 4
dragonfly's r-pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragonfly's r-pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009 at 3:32pm
congrats Linda we got our 171 last week .  Hope that our mileage improves, but it is still worth it to have your own bedding and just relax!  Thumbs Up maggie
ff404mag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ff404mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009 at 5:11pm
Congrats on the rpod.  Glad to see you finally got it , even my daughter asked me if Linda had gotten her rpod . We sat down together and saw the pic , she liked the snow . We dont get much of that down here in Texas .

Mario
capringl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capringl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009 at 7:44pm
Congrats on the Rpod Linda!
Craig
R-Pod 172
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Faust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 1:06pm
Hi Mario- We finally went on our first campout and I posted pictures on the adventure forum.  Linda and Ted
RPod 171 Rav 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Faust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 1:35pm
Hi Maggie
We slowed the speed down to 55 mph, kept it out of overdrive, and turned off cruise.  We are doing much better.  Linda
RPod 171 Rav 4
campyman1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote campyman1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 4:06pm
Hi Fellow R Poders!  My wife Karen and, being of the M-T nest persuasion and wishing to get back into camping albeit in a 50s mode, picked up our 171 unit on 4/18.  Dealer worked well with us. We purchased the unit for 12,500 which included air, DVD, furnace, frig, battery, filled LP tank, 'starter kit' of discharge tubing, pressure regulator for city wather, chemicals, RV TP, power cord, R Dome tent, and converter and wiring for my truck!  From prices we've seen, it seems we did OK with the add ons.  First trip went great with one exception (see my other post).  Will take back to the dealer for repair.  They'll have to hurry cause we leave Friday again for Rock Cut State Park in Illinois to visit some friends.  Happy trails to all...
Get out there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Faust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 9:36pm
I can't believe it has been almost a year since we picked up the Rpod 171.  Many trips and adventures last year in WI and UP of MI.  We picked up a 40 lb. canoe so the trip to the Nicolet National Forest was peaceful and relaxing last fall.  Watching the eagles, deer and loons on the quiet lakes and trails was the highlight of our summer vacations.  Only a couple other campers in the campground...quiet!!  The shower and Rdome made the vacation the best ever.  The RBed is a like a little Heaven on Earth.  Even Gracie likes her RBed (on top of the dinette cushion).  Can't wait to meet everyone at Round up.  I hope you are enjoying your Rpods as much as we love ours.  Linda 
RPod 171 Rav 4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic