r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

30-Amp Surge Protector?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30-Amp Surge Protector?
    Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 3:44pm

So I’m curious how many of you use and external surge protector; that is a surge protector that goes between the pod and the 30-amp electrical hookup. I really don’t know if they are necessary but I am told that during and electrical storm or just wear and tear on the shore power supply hookup may cause an electrical surge that will be transferred to your trailer. The other thing is I wonder if there is a built in surge protector in the r-pod for the incoming current?

I know that some campers use surge protectors inside of their campers for plug-ins, appliances, etc., but what about the incoming current from outside that goes to the pod? Can that incoming 30-amp current potentially damage the camper’s electrical system if you don’t have a surge protector between your pod and the 30-amp power supply?

Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 3:50pm
We've always used one with our RV's. Can't say if we need one because it's one of those things that if it's doing it's job correctly, you won't know. I do know that I had to reset the circuit breaker on it once. Something happened to cause it to trip but what it was or whether it saved us from having damage to our rpod, I have no idea.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 4:04pm
Steve, I know what you mean and I'm thinking that I'd rather be safe than sorry, but the surge protectors that I have looked at (Camping World) are fairly expensive, $300 to $500; are there any that you have seen which are less expensive?

LarrySmile

P.S. Just found one online at Camping World for about $90; still expensive but it is something I'd rather have than not have. I know that there are a lot of people camping without them but I don't know if our warrenty will cover and electrical blowout; fried circuit board, etc., if we did not have a surge protector connected to the pod?
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 5:19pm

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 7:01pm

Yes Steve that’s the one. I just drove to my local Camping World outlet and picked it up. I never used one with my popup tent trailer and that was 30-amp also, but I did not have all of the appliances in my popup that I now have in my R-Pod. So I’m glad I found this surge protector at a decent price.

Sometimes when I plug-in and run too many things at once in my pod it trips the GFI switch and I have to reset it. That has happened a lot. Now with winter coming I prefer to use and electric heater instead of the furnace which saves my propane. When I have and electrical hookup I only use propane for the stove and to heat water for a shower.

I also now have a heated mattress pad on the bed with and electric blanket on top; keeps you rather toasty to have heat coming from the bottom mattress pad and from the top electric blanket. But I think that the 30-amp surge protector will give me some more electrical protection but it still may not help the GFI switch tripping inside of the pod if I overload the circuits.

Larry

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic