r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help: Water heater output to fresh water tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help: Water heater output to fresh water tank
    Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 2:49pm
Newb alert...first post here. Just got my R-Pod 172 (I call mine X-Pod) to use this winter for snowboarding trips.

This winter, I want to use my water heater to keep the freshwater tank thawed.

On another (non-R-POD) forum I saw a post where a gent said he plumbed the hot water output into the freshwater tank using a thermostat controlled valve to move hot water from the water heater to the freshwater tank to keep it thawed. The freshwater tank could be kept thawed simply with one thermostadt controlled valve. Seemed an extremely elegant solution.

I would GREATLY appreciate advice on how to plumb this in the X-Pod from you expert R-Podders to make this mod as easy as possible. Questions...

1. Where is the best location to put a T in a hot water line?
     - Location near the sink faucet would pull hot water through sink line, keeping that thawed.
     - Shower hot water might be closer/easier install.
     - Make the extra effort, install a T at both the sink and shower.

2. Where to connect a hot water return line back into the freshwater tank (with valve in between).

Other side issues worth noting
- Will be using X-Pod most weekends, i'll keep it plugged in to home electric during the week.
- Cabin will be kept above freezing through the week while plugged in at home (and on trips)
- Will sanitize water heater.
- Gray water - I planed on dumping RV antifreeze in as we use it.
- Black Water - I plan to remove the X-Pod Toilet and put a cassett toilet in it's place for the winter.
                      Blackwater will be in the cabin at cabin temps.

I'm extremely open to suggestions on this as I need to get it done by Nov 14th or so. Thank you for any help!
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 10:30pm
Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with plumbing. I would recommend tank and pipe heaters, if you're seriously going to use the POD for a place to stay during winter weekends.

I hope you have hook-ups for your trips or a generator that's on demand.

http://www.ultraheat.com/tank_heaters.html

Good Luck!

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
Sixgunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 4:57am
Welcome XPod!

FWIW, I'm in agreement with Kenn.

What you propose is entirely plausible as a solution to storage tank freezing, but I think the most reasonable solution, as Kenn says, is holding tank and pipe heaters. Personally, having eschewed winter camping, I've never needed them.

I've looked at the Ultraheat site (link provided above) and they seem to have everything you need to solve your problem. Other sources also offer many of the same things. I don't believe I'd monkey with the plumbing...
feo fuerte y formal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic