r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

17" wheels for RPOD?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duck42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 17" wheels for RPOD?
    Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 11:18am
Does anyone know of any preclusion (eg. handling, stability, fit under wheel well) to placing 16 " or 17" wheels and tires on a 2011 RPOD 171 - other than cost?
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 6:15pm
Well... since a tire carries it's load on the sidewall, going to a 17 means losing sidewall, and I honestly don't know if there are any 17" travel trailer rated tires.. I am sure it would stiffen the ride for the pod, more NVH transfered into the trailer. Not good for cabinets, seals, plumbing..
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Footslogger03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 7:47pm
Well    ...we 've got the 16"ers on our 2012 and there is still "some" room between the fender and tire. It'll be close    ...but it should work. I'm more curious why youmare considering going to that sized wheel.

MJ
duck42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duck42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 10:37am
I'm interested in a "taller wheel" to give me an inch more ground clearance, don't need the 3-4" from an axle riser. Everything I go over including the mild incline into my driveway, street junctures, gas stations seems to need about 1" more clearance for peace of mind. Doesn't Forest River ever test these things out for usability before hand?
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 10:48am
How about getting some axle risers made up for you that are shorter than the ones FR sells? Probably cost you less than new wheels and tires.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Sixgunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 11:00am
I absolutely agree that the eastern R-Pod lacks adequate ground clearance. FR should have thought that one through a bit better. That said, I agree with Ratdog that axle risers are your better option, even if you went with the standard risers. I am seriously contemplating this myself for the same reasons you mentioned...
feo fuerte y formal
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

How about getting some axle risers made up for you that are shorter than the ones FR sells? 

That's a great idea and would be pretty easy. Any machine shop should be able to whip risers out for you from 1" solid stock, no welding required, and there's a good possibility they'd have the materials on hand. All they'd need is a rough sketch. If I was still working I could make these up for you in about 20 minutes. 

If you have access to a drill press, you could get the material from a scrap yard for a couple of bucks and drill the holes yourself. 

Project!

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
Sixgunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 11:25am
Here's a great opportunity: Sailor and Duck ought to collaborate on this project, then post detailed instructions and photographs! Big smile Big smile Big smile
feo fuerte y formal
duck42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duck42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 3:17pm
Wouldn't it be nice if Forest River acknowledged that maybe they made a miscalculation on ground clearance (or the supposition that all RPODers from the East will camp only on level concrete parking lots) and that there are terrain challenges in the Eastern half of the US as well as the Western, (not to mention Easterners who move West or who travel west on vacation) and offer to install axle risers for anyone who unwittingly purchased a  14' wheeled low rider RPOD at  dealer at cost?
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 4:12pm
With all the problems getting FR to recognize their mistake with the required exterior lighting requirements and getting them to fix the problem, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for free axle risers.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic