r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

171 Futon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 171 Futon
    Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 12:11pm
We've been trying to solve the problem of lack of comfortable seating in our pod. For several reasons, we never raise our table: We always eat outside, we use the area under it for storage, it's Boon's bed, etc. Our television is mounted on the wall by the microwave and refrigerator, so comfortable seating aimed at it is important. After two whole seasons, the solution finally occurred to us - a futon.

At first we were going to store the cushions in the attic but decided that under the futon was a better location and it makes it that much more comfortable. I still want to add more pillows and do something to hide the cushions. But I think that's what winters are for.
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 2:32pm
Hey guys! Looks good!
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 2:33pm
Very nice.  Can you still sit up without bumping your head on the curved ceiling?
Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 3:09pm
Sit up while watching television? We slump a lot. Never even thought of sitting up!

Maryjo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maryjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 7:08pm
What a great idea! Looks Comfy! 

FoxyPod (Maryjo)2010 R-Pod 173 Tow Vehicle:2004 Expedition
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 9:21pm
Peggy, I love the look.  Did you get it online or in a store?  What type of material is the futon cover?  Is your table area the same size as our 172?  So many question....LOL
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 5:19am
Originally posted by pepperpod pepperpod wrote:

Peggy, I love the look.  Did you get it online or in a store?  What type of material is the futon cover?  Is your table area the same size as our 172?  So many question....LOL

I got it online from Wayfair. (Used to be CSN Stores.) I did my normal search on Amazon and Wal-Mart and both sites had a nice variety but then I noticed that they were both selling them through Wayfair. Since I've bought from them before I get their emails and they had just sent me a code for 10% off my next order. It was a sign!

The cover had to be something with a pattern because Boon has a tendency to leave bits of fur around everywhere. It's that heavy, smooth upholstery fabric on top and the bottom is something stretchy. I liked the fact that it came with two pillows. :)

Actually, our table is the width of your beds - 42". Your table area is the width of our bed - 60". But you actually have the backrest cushions so you might be able to make something work. I originally started wanting a sofa when I saw what Bob and Pam had done with their 172. (Their pod is so sweet!) This sits more like a recliner than a sofa, but that's perfect for us because we mostly sit in recliners at home anyway.

pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 9:07am
Thanks Peggy.  I am going to try to do something before we go to Florida.  We don't watch a lot of TV or movies, but when we do, we find the table area to be very uncomfortable.
Stay warm.  If you decide to come to Florida let us know where you are going to be.  We would love to meet up with you guys. You know Boon Doggie is special to Rick. Big smile
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 4:57pm
An update: We spent over 70 nights with the futon setup and had a few problems with it. In the first place, futons just are not that comfortable to sit on and the cover had a tendency to get twisted pretty easily. We have not missed the table one bit! And yes, we are able to sit up straight if we're so inclined. (Or should I say "not inclined"?)

The idea of a day bed in that section seemed like a good one to us, so here it is: A twin sized mattress covered in a length of denim and a passel of pillows.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic