r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > RpodNation Downtime and Maintenance > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winterize

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 6:12pm
HMM, this was my first year of winterizing. I had a couple of vet. RV'ers tell me to use a screw driver to push back on the valve with pressure on the line. I was able to push back the valve with my finger and got anti-freeze to come out of the city-water in-let (with pressure online.) I never thought about damage to the valve, it is something to think about for sure.
But both vet rv guys have done this with pressure on line for a number of years. Am going to tell/ask them what they think about damageing the valve.
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
2012 177.. "EHHH" R Pod" its a canadian thing..
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 7:11pm
Talked to an RV vet today.. He said he'd not thought of releasing the pressure on the water line, and possibly breaking the check valve with the pressure still on. He's glad I brought this to his attention. He said he will now relieve the pressure then hold back the valve and then have someone cycle the pump on and off (quickly) maybe a couple of times till some antifreeze comes out the city water hook up.
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
2012 177.. "EHHH" R Pod" its a canadian thing..
Bill Ky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Ky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 8:07pm
I have never had to use the pump when getting antifreeze from the city water inlet, usually just a couple second to get antifreeze through it if everything else has had antifreeze flowing.  
Bill & Marilyn, Tinker Belle (Yorkie), Sparkle (Mini Dachshund) & Tootsie (the turtle) '12 RP175 '07 Dodge Ram 1500
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 7:12am
Originally posted by ron_whitt ron_whitt wrote:

Talked to an RV vet today.. He said he'd not thought of releasing the pressure on the water line, and possibly breaking the check valve with the pressure still on. He's glad I brought this to his attention. He said he will now relieve the pressure then hold back the valve and then have someone cycle the pump on and off (quickly) maybe a couple of times till some antifreeze comes out the city water hook up.

The fluids will come out just fine with the already built-up pressure in the system.  No need to cycle the pump, although if he wants to do that with a tap opened or something, it should be fine.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic