r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which hitch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which hitch
    Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 1:42pm
Anyone have a recommendation for the weight capacity weight distribution hitch i'll need for an RPod 172? Thank you
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 3:28pm
XPod: I to have 172. After many hours of research I chose the Equal-i-zer Sway Control Hitch (4000#-400# hitchweight.) Bigger isnt always better, if you use a bigger hitch and torque it to much you may risk bending the frame on your TV or your TT. It is well worth the money. There is another hitch that the hitch king in London Ontario uses $ 3500.
Gongrats on your 172 and welcome to the group.
If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by XPod XPod wrote:

Anyone have a recommendation for the weight capacity weight distribution hitch i'll need for an RPod 172? Thank you

I didn't do a lot of research because I didn't know any better, but my dealer installed an Equal-i-zer 2,  I've been on the road three years with one of the smallest TV's and it's performed well.  No sway when trucks pass, and kept Podterfly straight during a couple of PANIC stops.  

Hopefully etrailer will jump in and give you the links to his previous posts or information website.  (Side note I really like the way he provides us info even though he's not a podder and DOESN"T PUSH his site)

IMHO
LeeStar 
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Butterfly_Lee Butterfly_Lee wrote:

Originally posted by XPod XPod wrote:

I didn't do a lot of research because I didn't know any better, but my dealer installed an Equal-i-zer 2,  I've been on the road three years with one of the smallest TV's and it's performed well.  No sway when trucks pass, and kept Podterfly straight during a couple of PANIC stops.  

Hopefully etrailer will jump in and give you the links to his previous posts or information website.  (Side note I really like the way he provides us info even though he's not a podder and DOESN"T PUSH his site)
IMHO
LeeStar 

IMHO, that's one of the primary reasons to use an anti-sway device. Even if your trailer tracks perfectly behind your TV when driving down the road, you want to keep that trailer under control during a panic stop, or worse, an emergency maneuver where you have to swerve to avoid a situation.

Not many things scarier than watching your trailer pass your TV <LOL>.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpierce220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 10:08am
I'll second that about using a sway bar.  I've had people cut me off at a stop light about a mile from my house where they've been doing road construction and the road goes from 2 lanes to 1 right before the light.  I've had to slam the brakes more than once and thankfully the Outlander and Pod both stopped quickly and straight.  

It's always best to be safe than not and to be safe than sorry.  
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
sfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 7:58pm
Its pretty hard to beat the Equalizer brand.
sjf
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic