r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

172 Improvements Made (pics)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 172 Improvements Made (pics)
    Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 2:35am

Here's some of the changes we've made so far:

1) Made a cover for the stovetop for more counter space. The top is ceramic tiles with cork around the perimeter.  If you turn it over it doubles as a serving tray.

2) Drilled a finger hole and made a prop rod for the lower bunk storage area:

3) Added a bungee cord around the TV to keep the screen secure during travel:

4) Couldn't open the dinette storage compartement easily as the back cushion overlapped the storage compartment cover. Cut off the compartment cover so it would bypass the cushion.

6) Found a perfect little stool for easier access to the top bunk.

7) A wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer lets you keep closer tabs on the fridge temp.

Other stuff: added a second set of stabilizing jacks to the front of the Rpod, bought suction cup hooks to hang wet jackets on just outside the door, use suction cups to hold the Rdome flaps to the side of the Rpod rather than drilling into the side.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
penny-podding View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penny-podding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 6:34am
These are all great ideas. We also made a prop stick for the bunk storage. I am using plastic trays I got from WalMart years ago to cover the stove top. Turned upside down they work great for added counter space. Do you find that cutting off the storage door under the seat cushion weakens the bed support any? Also, what kind of suction cups are you using for the rdome? We tried with velcro, but the cloth side has to be sewn and the other side is kind of ugly stuck on the side.

We want to add the stablizers. Which kind did you get and how much to install?

One thing we would like on our 172 are a couple more windows. I would like to have two windows that will open over the bunks. We thought even little porthole type windows might be cute. Have you heard of anyone adding windows?
The Penny-Pod is on the road!
Penny & Russell
R-Pod 172
2006 Ford Expedition - Darth Vedar!
charlene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 8:52pm
I, too, would be interested in hearing about adding windows. The 172 is awfully dark up front. We need more light. I have no idea if this is a difficult modification. My husband would be doing the work and is pretty handy, but we're wondering if there are issues about which we should be aware before cutting into the side of the unit.

charlene
Charlene and Bren
traveling with 2 young kids
2009 Rpod 172
2006 Toyota Tundra V8 4WD Dbl Cab
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2009 at 3:56am
    Charlene , I have a 171 and removed a window to do repairs. The window opening has wood around the edges for support to the sidewalls. You would have to remove the foam insulation between the side walls and replace with wood for strength. The problem you will proably have, I am not sure of is the aluminum frame. If you have to cut that , not sure of the strength and integrity of the trailer that would be lost. A call to Forest River would proably be best.    David
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2009 at 4:42am
The window addition could be done but it would be expensive.  You would have to cut the aluminum studs and weld in a cross member above and below the window.  That would mean removing more of the outside fiberglass and the inside paneling.  So you would have a mismatch when you finished off the window.

I have the 175 with the sink in the front end.  I thought there should be a window there also.  For one thing you can't see if someone walks into your lot from the front.  I can see out the back and both sides but not the front.

Terry
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2009 at 7:53am
     It depends on how close the studs are and the size window. You may have enough space between the studs for a small port hole style window. Thats why I thought it would be good to call Forest River to find out the spacing between the studs.     David
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
geneowens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geneowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2009 at 3:26pm
I was looking for one of those back up cameras today - thought about adding one of those up front so I can see whats happening up there while camped and/or parked at a walmart or rest area? Sams had just sold their last one and Cosco did not have any - anyone know of a source and cost????
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2009 at 6:08am
With the back up camera on our SUV it made "docking" the rpod to the hitch a breeze. I highly recommend getting one as an add-on and then having the portability to use it while camping to see the front of the camper is an excellent idea.

We also would love to put at least a porthole size window above the sink in the 174. I know John will be looking into doing it, so will let all know.
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
happyrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happyrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 9:23pm
Thanks for the ideals.  My husband took micro out and built mirrored doors & one shelf for more cloths storage.  Micro went to the side of cabinet on counter. He also built a server/top for the burners too. really added extra counter space.
George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 7:42pm
Hey HuronSailor,
I would love to hear (or see pics) of the suction cup details and r-dome side flaps.  We are trying to figure out how those side flaps can be connected to the r-pod without drilling holes in the side of the r-pod.
I can't stop dreaming about June 15, 2013 when we get to permanently escape in our "Escape Pod" which is a 176T towed by a Chevy van with a 5.7L engine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic