r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Explorer VS Highlander

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 7:11pm
I have an older Highlander (04) so it only has a 3500 lb tow capacity.  It pulls the Pod but struggles some on steep inclines.  I only got my TT last summer and haven't used it a lot yet but definitely will upgrade TV if I do any longer trips.

The issue that I kept going 'round and 'round with is that the Highlander is built on a car (Lexus) chassis; i.e. unibody.   You see varying information in the Toyota manuals and forums as to not recommending the use of weight distribution bars which put pressure on the car frame.  I finally gave up (since even the info. you get from Toyota is contradictory) and put the bars on and the Pod handles much better.  If the Explorer is on a truck chassis, I think you're better off having it as a tow vehicle. 
2010 Rp 171
Towed with 2011 Ford Expedition
Co-pilots: Abby & Brownie
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 5:38am
     I know you have narowed your choices down to the Explorer and the Highlander. Did you look at the new Jeep Grand Cherokee? Rear wheel drive is prefered over front wheel drive for towing.
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 7:18am
Originally posted by David and Danette David and Danette wrote:

I know you have narowed your choices down to the Explorer and the Highlander. Did you look at the new Jeep Grand Cherokee? Rear wheel drive is prefered over front wheel drive for towing.

AWD works, too. Our TV automatically goes into AWD and stays there when towing our rpod. Otherwise, it remains in front wheel drive unless accelerating hard or on ice/snow.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
duck42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duck42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 10:47am
We have a 2006 3.3 L Highlander rated at 3500 lbs and installed a sway bar. We have experienced no problems pulling our RP 171 on long trips over moderately hilly terrain (upstate New York, Vermont, Massachusetts. The gas mileage drops to 12 but the nice thing about the Toyota Highlander is that the other 95% of the year when you are not pulling a trailer the mileage bounces back to 22-25.  We have been very satisfied with the Highlander as a dual purpose vehicle (check consumer reports ratings and recommendations comparing Highlander vs Explorer).
Bones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 12:48pm
I did look at the jeep Grand Cherokee, but it just wasn't a comfortable vehicle for me to drive, I'm real tall and only a hand ful of vehicles are right for me...Thanks for the suggestion just the same.  
Bones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 12:50pm
Thanks Duck2, I agree the Highlander is a great vehicle, and a Toyota. I have owned Toyotas for the last 4 vehicles and swear by them. That said I have made the change and purchased an Explorer. It's just got lots of littl;e touches that are nice. Thanks for your thoughts.
marc515 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marc515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Bones Bones wrote:

I am having a struggle trying to determine which new vehicle to buy. I have it down to a Ford Explorer or a Toyota Highlander. Both seem like they should pull my Pod but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with either as a TV. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Both would be new 2012's.

Thanks, Bones
The biig question here is Which Pod are you looking to get? and what towing capacity are you lookig at in the tow vehicle?

The rpod dry weight weights range from 2,128 Lbs to 2,775 Lbs. Depending on which one you pick, and what your towing capacity is, your towing could be tight.

Example, if you pick the 2,775 one. and add lets say 300Lbs of stuff, your are 3,075Lbs. Now if you have a tow vehicle with a 3,500Lb capacity, and you add your wife, kids, and stuff to it totaling lets say 500 Lbs, your tow capacity is now 3,000 Lbs.....you can see in this example you would be over the towing capacity.

Now a vehicle with a 5,000LB capacity would leave you more room for more stuff (which adds up very fast).
Best Regards,.....Marc & Joan
And....Tucker (our yellow lab)
2011 Heartland MPG-181
2011 Nissan Pathfinder
USMC 69-73
God Bless all our Men & Women in Uniform
GaRedneck81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaRedneck81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 2:12pm
The listed dry weight on the r-pod does not include the a/c, oven, heater, H20 tank, butane tank or battery.  Taking my R-172 to the scales empty; it weighted in at 2,850. Something else to think about when choosing a tow vehicle.
GaRedneck81
U.S.Navy-Retired
Heavy Chevy 5.7 liter
RP-172
Kennesaw, Ga.
marc515 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marc515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by GaRedneck81 GaRedneck81 wrote:

The listed dry weight on the r-pod does not include the a/c, oven, heater, H20 tank, butane tank or battery.  Taking my R-172 to the scales empty; it weighted in at 2,850. Something else to think about when choosing a tow vehicle.

Good point sir! Did not realize the dry wieghts do not include those items, and definitely a consideration when looking for a tow vehicle.
Best Regards,.....Marc & Joan
And....Tucker (our yellow lab)
2011 Heartland MPG-181
2011 Nissan Pathfinder
USMC 69-73
God Bless all our Men & Women in Uniform
GaRedneck81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaRedneck81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 8:20pm
Yeah, and I forgot to mention that the refridgerator and Microwave oven are also not included. That is another 100 lbs.
GaRedneck81
U.S.Navy-Retired
Heavy Chevy 5.7 liter
RP-172
Kennesaw, Ga.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic