r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adding a second battery?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding a second battery?
    Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 3:10pm

Those of you who've added a second battery: did you simply connect it in parallel with the first battery, leave it disconnected and in reserve, or did you go fancier and make it switchable somehow?

Let me know what worked for you. On my boat I have 4 deep cycle batteries switchable in various combinations, so I do tend to go overboard (not literally) sometimes when it comes to my toys. Must ... control ...

Thanks in advance!
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
tompearce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompearce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 6:40pm
   It's very easy!  There's plenty of room for two batteries side by side on the tongue.  The dealer didn't want to hook it up, but it's a piece of cake.  I used about two foot lengths of heavy wire from an old jumper cable set to hook the batteries up in parallel.  I crimped 3/8" terminals at each end of the cables to fit under the battery wingnuts.   Note the loop between the batteries to allow the wires to fit under the battery covers.  This way both batteries are charged by the tow car or the power converter and the battery capacity is doubled without need for switching.
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 5:48pm
What's the advantage of the second battery?

Thanks in Advance
Lee
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 6:43pm
Longer time when boon docking before having to recharge, would be one reason that I can think of.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic