r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fridge use when travelling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 10:58am

I run the fridge off electric the day before a trip (before I had a 30amp plug at the house, I used a heavy duty extension cord hook to 110 socket).

While traveling I run on battery, and when I stop I have a disconnect switch on the battery box that I turn off if I'm going to be less then a hour.  The fridge won't lose the cold in that about of time.   Then just turn it back on after I start up the TV.   For longer times I switch it to propane, but still use the disconnect to ensure my TV battery doesn't get drained.

LeeStar
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 2:11pm
You CANT drain your TV battery via the TT.
If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Marwayne Marwayne wrote:

You CANT drain your TV battery via the TT.

Well I know for a fact I woke one morning at a truck stop and my tow vehicle would not start (I did not leave lights on, but it was connected to the TT ) and I had to get a jumpCry.   Of course I didn't have jumper cables either nor did the place I'd stop at have any for saleShocked.  It was one of those never again experinces.Confused

If it can't it still probably a good practice to disconnect when not in use!

LeeStar
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
IPodAlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Butterfly_Lee Butterfly_Lee wrote:

I run the fridge off electric the day before a trip (before I had a 30amp plug at the house, I used a heavy duty extension cord hook to 110 socket).

While traveling I run on battery, and when I stop I have a disconnect switch on the battery box that I turn off if I'm going to be less then a hour.  The fridge won't lose the cold in that about of time.   Then just turn it back on after I start up the TV.   For longer times I switch it to propane, but still use the disconnect to ensure my TV battery doesn't get drained.

LeeStar

I used an adapter to also connect my Pod to the heavy duty extension cord to cool my fridge the day before.  I was told by one of the ladies at Forest River that you could damage your Pod running it off household socket.  (I had a wire that fried for some reason but not necessarily any indication it was caused by hooking to electric at home; no way to know.)  Do many of you also hook to your home power and if so, have you had any adverse effects?
2010 Rp 171
Towed with 2011 Ford Expedition
Co-pilots: Abby & Brownie
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 7:20pm
I plug in to the house all the time before a trip. This is true with the POD and our bigger toy hauler.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
thrasharound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thrasharound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 8:26pm
We use the battery setting when traveling.  Legally you are supposed to turn off any open flames when fueling up so that would include the frig on propane.

Bob & Maureen
2006 Tundra

thrasharound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thrasharound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 8:30pm
The walk around is really a good idea.  I usually walk around before towing then after a few miles do another.  It really helps especially if you have a bike rack or something else that could shift.

Bob & Maureen
2006 Tundra

Tomcamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 9:22pm
Is there a problem with trying to run the fridge by plugging the pod into a house outlet thru an extension cord?
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Tomcamper Tomcamper wrote:

Is there a problem with trying to run the fridge by plugging the pod into a house outlet thru an extension cord?

No, unless you start driving plugged in LOL

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 12:03am
Read the owners manual very carefully. We have the 3 way fridge and after running on battery, it will automatically switch over to gas after 15 minutes. That gives you plenty of time to fuel up before the gas comes on. 
2011 Visa 23RBK pulled with 2010 Nissan Titan. 12.5 MPG when towing.
The Most Beautiful Thing In Life Is The Ability To love.
www.BillyAdeliza.homestead.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic