r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grey to black tank?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grey to black tank?
    Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 11:17am
Sorry for putting in so many posts, but I have lots to learn.   We will be camping in a park that has water and power, but no sewer to the site.   Is there a way to transfer grey water to the black tank so that we don't have to move pod to the sewer cleanout?     We won't dump on the ground obviously.    Your wise advice as usual will be much appreciated.  
Tomcamper
2016 4runner
Dreampod 177

06 GMC Envoy
Sixgunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 1:23pm
There isn't an easy way to accomplish what you're suggesting, short of replumbing. Then, you'd want to revert back to the original system eventually...

Now, if I understand correctly, you want to put grey water in the black tank so you don't have to move the pod to the sewer cleanout? By that do you mean what is commonly referred to  as a dump station?

The thing about it is, you have two waste storage tanks, each with 30 gallon capacity. Whether you end up with one full or two half full tanks, it's the same thing. Unless you plan on camping for more than three days or so in a stretch, you shouldn't fill either tank. I suggest you just keep an eye on the grey/black tank readout by the entry door.
feo fuerte y formal
turncoat3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turncoat3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 2:31pm
you could just walk to the heads for the number 2 thing as well as your shower.  We have always done this and used only the number 1 in the pod.  We have not filled the tanks in 3-4 days.  You will probably use more grey water in washing dishes and hands and such than black water.
Then on the way out of the park, stop at the dump station and empty both tanks.
Ben & Lorrie
2010 RP177
2Peas-n-RPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Peas-n-RPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by turncoat3 turncoat3 wrote:

you could just walk to the heads for the number 2 thing as well as your shower.  We have always done this and used only the number 1 in the pod.  We have not filled the tanks in 3-4 days.  You will probably use more grey water in washing dishes and hands and such than black water.
Then on the way out of the park, stop at the dump station and empty both tanks.

^That's exactly what we have done. Good advice^
2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition
"Ribbitt" Pod
2000 Ford F150 5.4L V8 TV
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 12:22am

I do not know about connecting the black tank to the gray tank but what I did was purchase a “portable holding tank” for those occasions where I do have a sewer hookup. The portable holding tank comes in all sorts of sizes; I got the 16 gallon one shown in the link, but you can get bigger or smaller ones as well.

A potable holding tank works just like a sewer, you hook it up to your pod and it drains both the gray and black tanks, and then you hook the handle on the back of your tow vehicle; preferable the hitch, and drive it slowly over to the dump station. It eliminates the need to have to move the entire trailer every time you want to dump your tanks. You have to keep the portable tank clean just like you do your gray and black tanks and when traveling I stored my portable tank inside of my R-Pod, but if you have a pickup truck you could store it there as well.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS404US404&q=portable+holding+tank+for+rv&gs_upl=0l0l0l3633634lllllllllll0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11415736879812644918&sa=X&ei=RG0rT9jaLOnJiQLDkJGuCg&ved=0CJIBEPICMAI#

P.S. A 16-gallon tank is good for one person but if you have kids, or there is more than one person, you might want to get a larger portable holding tank (tote); but be aware that you are adding weight to your rig when you are traveling; the bigger tots may be heavier than the smaller ones.

Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 12:25am
We use a tote. When we were at Glacier, we used over 30 gallons of gray water a day. We like our conveniences and don't skimp on showers and such. In the week we were there, we used over 200+ gallons of water for everything. We never filled up the black tank though. And we did both 1 and 2 in the trailer.

This is what we use.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
Tomcamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 11:15am
As usual, great replies, good advice and learnings.   Eventually I will go on and help others on this forum.   This summer we are going on a 4,400 kilometre trip through the mountains from Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada to Vancouver, British Columbia, return.    Thank you all.    We will purchase one of those totes for our "Poop Pod," since we occasionally stay in one place for a week or more.    Tomcamper.      
Tomcamper
2016 4runner
Dreampod 177

06 GMC Envoy
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 1:46pm
WOW Kenn, that is a lot of water!  My wife and I were also at Glacier last September for a week.  We showered daily, washed dishes, and used the toilet at night; used the park's during the day.  We arrived with our tank 2/3 full, filled up once and left with about 1/3 left.  I figure we used 40-45 gallons for the week.  Must be length of shower time.  After being in Albania, Kosovo, Guyana, Nicaragua, and some out of the way places in Mexico we've gotten used to 1 minute showers (guys),2-3 minutes for the ladies.  Get wet, turn off water, soap up, shower off.

Question, since you use a tote for your gray/black water do you also have a 2nd one for refilling your tank, otherwise you would still have to transport your pod to get water?  We stayed at Two Medicine Campground and the only water available was at the entrance by the ranger station.  Thanks
God's Pod

'11 model 177

'13 Ford Explorer

Jim & Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 1:50pm
Kenn, had another question, if you do have a 2nd tote, how do you pump it back into your holding tank?  I looked at your link, nice tote! but didn't see a pump, just gravity feed.  Would be kinda heavy to lift up high enough for a gravity feed back into the holding tank.  Thanks!
God's Pod

'11 model 177

'13 Ford Explorer

Jim & Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 3:01pm
My tote is designed to be towed to a dump station. It is also designed to just keep the gray water in there for later disposal. You could shower with the toilet open to have some of the shower water go to the black. You could also do your dishes using a basin, then dump it in the toilet for the black waste tank to take the water.

As far as the 2nd tote, you can use gallon jugs to refill the fresh tank. We used two five (5) gallon Coleman jugs with a funnel to refill the tank. I'd refill the tank and dump every morning.

We have two kids and as far as 1 minute showers...I've done that and prefer to live in luxury. Why get a camper and rough it? Might as well camp in a tent if you're going to rough it.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic