r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grey to black tank?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbillar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 6:22pm
I bought a 5 gal. blue container which I use to "bleed" off gray water and dump so as to make the gray water last loner.  We can go for a long time with the black water tank but gray water fills quickly, even if we use local bathrooms for showers which can really fill up the gray water tank quickly.
Bill
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 6:41pm
The bigger sized blue totes have an accessory attachment that loops over the ball on your TV hitch so you can tow it to the dump station.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 6:28pm

The other thing about the larger totes that you should know is that they may not fit under your pod; I have axle risers on my 171 and my 16 gal. tote does not fit under my pod, so I had to get a short sewer hose because a regular length sewer hose would not effectively drain the pod’s tanks.

My tote has a sewer hose connection on the side and one on the top; maybe the one on the side might work better for draining the pod tanks into the tote but you might get some backup. Don’t know if others who have a tote have experienced what I’m talking about.

Regardless a short sewer hose from the pod to the tote worked much better for me than the standard length sewer hose. My tote also hooks on to the back of my tow vehicle and dumping it at the dump station is no problem at all.

The one minute shower you guys are talking about reminds me of Vietnam where we had outdoor showers, cold water only, and you pull a lever to get wet, soap up and then pull the lever again to rinse off. Ahhhh...the bad old days.Smile

Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 12:04am
Our tote works well with little to no backflow. We also have a 35 gallon tote. Ours also have an indicator that prevents you from overfilling it.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 3:06am

Kenn, your tote does look a little lower than mine and maybe you do not have this issue, but my tote it seems has larger wheels on it and it is off the ground almost as high as my R-Pod; the pod's drainage pipe is about even with the top of my tote, which when I attach the sewer hose to the top of the tote to drain the pods tanks, the hose attachment on top of the tote is about as high as the pod's drainage pipe; I remedy this by using a very short sewer hose. But also I can use the sewer hose attachment on the side of the tote which is lower, and allows gravity to help drain the tanks. My tote also has and indicator to show how full the tote is and as I said eariler it can be hooked to the hitch on my TV and towed to the dump station. I guess all I'm saying is that trailers that are lower to the ground may not be able to use the top hose attachment on the tote because of the lack of clearence. I will also add that I lock my tote to the pod axle using a bicycle steel cord because one camper told me that someone walked off with their tote while it was hooked up to their trailer. I also chain lock my generator to my trailer when I bring that along on a camping trip; these things are just too expensive; now my lawn chairs I don't care if somebody takes. It is best to take pictures of everything in your pod for insurance purposes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic