r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

screwing into the walls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: screwing into the walls
    Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 10:20pm
I'm picking up my new 177 in a month or so (I'll post as soon as I bring it home) I was wondering what type of anchoring system you folks used to put things up on the walls. I've seen 1)1/2" x #8 sheet metal screws with omega holders, 2) 1/4" plastic anchors with proper size screws 3)toggle and commando screws. As well as 3M sticker hooks. 3M is ok for hanging stuff but for baskets etc. I was wondering just what has worked the best for most folks...Once again this forum is just fantastic great work by the moderators and esp. all the folks who contribute
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
2012 177.. "EHHH" R Pod" its a canadian thing..
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 4:07pm
I use the plastic anchors with the appropiate screws both inside and outside, as you may want to connect your r-dome ilets to the pod which requires puting some screws along side the outside of the pod where the dome is to be attached. Now some do not attach their dome ilets but I have found and extra secureness in doing so especially when there are high winds present. My dome has stood up to 40 mph winds partly due to the way I secure it. But plastic anchors with screws have worked for me and sometimes I put glue on the anchor before inserting them.
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 4:34pm
Ok thanks Larry for the info, appreciate it.
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
podsible dream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podsible dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 10:16pm
I'm the guy with the omega holders and 1/2" sheet metal screws. After last years season and several trips, we have not lost anything screwed into the walls. Tha includes the baskets with clothes in them and a couple of storage racks screwed into the upper ceilings of the areas above the frig in our 171 (no microwave), as well as some modified shower hanging holders in the kitchen for assorted utensils and stuff. We replaced the mini blinds with real cloth curtains - using upholstery fabric to act as Insulation against cold draining off the windows- and discovered that the valences, along with other brackets installed by FR, were held in place by simple screws without anchors as well...
The walls are real plywood and will hold screws. Walt
Chris and Walt
'10 RP 171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Durango Crew 5.7l Hemi
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 10:08am
Thanks podsible, appreciate everyones knowledge, lol like folks have said after putting in the first screw the rest are easier... Hopefully when I gain some experience I will be able to help someone also.   
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic