r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camp ground review and recommendations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dry Camping Tips please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leonlewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dry Camping Tips please
    Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 11:47am
Hi,

Just about to finalize the deal for our new R-pod.   We plan on dry camping a few times this summer,..as many of the best parks up here in western Canada do not offer hookups.
With one battery and one tank with the R pod , I am wondering what other recommendations some of you may have for a comfortable 4 or 5 day camping trip.  I do currently have a couple extra 20lb tanks,..plus a couple of those auto/marine battery packs.  Should I pick up rechargeable lanterns,... propane heater etc?
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  thanks
Sixgunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 6:55pm
I had a lot of fun with a thread I started a few months back, titled "Stuff You Need". Maybe you'll find something helpful there, including in the responses I received.

You can find it at: http://rpodnation.com/stuff-you-need_topic2838.html
feo fuerte y formal
leonlewt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leonlewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 10:51am
thanks,..will check it out.
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 12:17pm
Wow.  4 or 5 days on the stock configuration?  You and how many others?  I'm assuming you won't be showering (since the water pump will drain the battery pretty good).  The frig will run on propane for sometime, so you should be good there.  You really need to limit your light usage in the R-Pod.  You're probably better off using battery operated laterns or something like that.

I guess it can be done, but you'll really have to conserve.  You may be able to recharge the R-Pod battery with your TV during the day, if it's wired to do so.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

leonlewt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leonlewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 1:04pm
Hi,..yes 4 or 5 days,..but not in remote areas,...most likely provincial or national parks with public showers, facilities etc.  A great percentage of sites in these parks are not serviced,..and in my opinion some of the nicest, secluded sites are unserviced.  Its camping,..I can manage to shower every second day at the public shower, no problem. A bunch of recharge lights, coolers etc and we're good to go.  I've only tent camped before, so I'm not too spoiled,....yet. 
thanks for feedback. 
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 9:29am
Originally posted by leonlewt leonlewt wrote:

Hi,

Just about to finalize the deal for our new R-pod.   We plan on dry camping a few times this summer,..as many of the best parks up here in western Canada do not offer hookups.
With one battery and one tank with the R pod , I am wondering what other recommendations some of you may have for a comfortable 4 or 5 day camping trip.  I do currently have a couple extra 20lb tanks,..plus a couple of those auto/marine battery packs.  Should I pick up rechargeable lanterns,... propane heater etc?
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  thanks

Be careful with the batteries and I'm assuming your talking about having dual one..there are several threads on batteries, connecting them "same kind and age etc"   When searching be sure to change the date option to you get everything not the last six months.  
In one of the threads someone talked about dry camping and taking their batteries and generator to an alternate location to charge them do to park restrictions.  My point being a check on the threads on generators as well.

I have a Honda 2000i that powers everything expect the A/C compressor and will recharge the battery.  
I'm not into ruffing it too much.

LeeStar
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 11:13pm
We dry camp for a week at a time every summer. We do not shower in the pod or use the water heater then but we will run the lights, fridge on propane, we use the stove, flush the toilet no showers. I only turn the water pump on when the pressure drops then turn it off again. We have just the standard battery and propane tank and they last us a week with extra. I have run the furnace to warm things up before bed. but don't normally need heat during the summer. We have a small generator just in case but have not needed it.
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
headcold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote headcold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 11:21pm
Every month, I dry camp a month in the Southern Utah desert, 30 miles from the nearest conveniences.  The secret: A Honda 2000 generator to keep the batteries up to snuff.  One propane tank will last at least three weeks of use, even in cold weather, but I set my furnace thermostat to to higher than 40 F. in the evening. Nevertheless, I carry a smaller spare just in case, and I often cook outside on a coleman camp stove.  Water is a problem, and find myself having to pack around five six-gallon water containers, which I have to fill up on a weekly basis.  Of course, I go in with a full water tank.  I also bring an external portable latrine, rather than fill up the black water tank.  
headcold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote headcold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 11:21pm
I should have said "Every year."  Every month would be nice too.
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 4:49am
I also have a Honda 2000 Generator and also a tote (portable sewer) which I use when dry camping. Get some battery operated stick up LED lights so you don't have to use the pod's lights. It would be helpful to have two propane tanks and two 12-volt deep cycle batteries as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic