r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Actual Bed Size for Dinette?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retiredtraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Actual Bed Size for Dinette?
    Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 6:23pm
    Before I go looking at the dealer with a measuring tape, can anyone tell me if the dinettes, on various models, measuring 58x74, will sleep an adult?
     I ask that because I don't know if you have a full 74" of bed space when converted, or there are sides that make it too small for an adult to sleep on the dinette.

Thanks.
Bill and Marie in TX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill and Marie in TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 6:54pm
We slept on the dinette on our 174 all of last season.  Not the most comfortable but manageable.  Did have to reinforce the supports for the table after a "fall in" in the middle of the night.  Traded to a permanent bed for this season.  Feels a lot better.
2011 RP-181G "Wine Pod II"
2011 F-250 6.2L V8
2 Doxies + 1 tiny Corgi = 1 full size dog
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 8:27am
Not sure what you  mean by "sides".  The dinette, in the dinette configuration, has back cushions all around.  Unless you are extremely short, you need to take those cushions off to even have a chance to use it as a bed.  I'm 6'2" and can not sleep in there without bending my knees or hanging my legs out the opening.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

retiredtraveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retiredtraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 9:41am
I would assume you would remove all the cushions from the sides. But, I thought (and maybe wrong until I go back and loock) that there is still fabric around the walls. I'm just trying to find out that when opened up, how much actual sleeping space there is left over.  
czardastx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote czardastx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 9:49pm
I'm 5'10 and am able to sleep on the converted dinette just fine. I camp solo, but if my wife ever joins me I know that it's big enough for the two of us.

Hope that helps.
2011 R-Pod 173
2004 Ford Explorer
cmjmoore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 9:35am
We have spent 29 nights on our dinette bed since we purchased our 176 last May.   I am 6' and wife is 5'7", our German Shorthaired Pointer - Max sleeps with us at the foot of the bed, he is the size of a small child. I admitt that it would be better if it was a king size bed, but hey it's camping. We use a 3" memory foam topper over the cushions and that makes all the difference in the world. It would be hard if you are over 6' 2" to stretch out. Best of luck.
TRI-POD
Me, my Honey & Max our GSP
2013 Surveyor SP 240
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
Poddie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 10:28am
Our daughter is 5'7" and fits fine.  We also use memory foam on top for added cushioning.  My husband and I are 5'9.5" and 5'11" and we just barely make it.  LOL  We don't have to bend our knees or hang our feet over the edge, but there is no wiggle room when you are tall.  As it was mentioned before, it's camping!  I don't expect the accommodations of the Ritz.  But we have upgraded to the Pod from tents.  Compared to tent camping, the R-Pod feels like I'm being spoiled rotten.  :)
I'd rather be Podding. :)
leonlewt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leonlewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 5:48pm
We are two weeks away from out first trip in our new rp172,...I have been quite nervous about how I will make out in the dinette bed,..I am 6'2" and not thin ,..... wife is tiny and 5'2" so that helps.  But I'm thinking we'll have to be prepared to use our extra bunk for her occasionally.  Our 4 year old daughter owns the other bunk.   Plan was to use the top bunk for clothes etc and to store the foam topper when using the dinette. But hey,..if needed, all that goes in the back of the truck! 
Wish us luck !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic